The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
there are several different types of refugiums.
there are refugiums for filteration, and for food sources.
by choosing your substrate as the basis for your refugium, like a course subrstate for amphipods, medium/fine for copepods, sugarsand for denitritification, mud for mangroves, liverubble for filter feeding sponges and aiptasia, algal mat/turf scrubbers, or a rdp for ph control. but you don't have to limit yourself to one type either, you can combined different elements of each 'fuge, but the the overall effectiveness is reduced, imo. and depending on where you place your 'fuge, also limits your options as well. in sump, very little if any live critters makes it past the spinning impeller of death in one piece. hang-on fuges are great for providing the little critters a safe pathway into the tank.
hth!
:cool:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more of the filteration side. But I some what wanted it for food also. Food for my maderin. Could I make 2 ? One for food the other for filteration ? Also whats "rdp" for ph control ? My fuge will be under my stand.

-Paul

·
Registered
778 Posts
rdp: Reverse Daylight Photosynthesis
the intent of this techinque is to stabilize the ph by the balanced process of respiration and photosynthesis between 2 opposing systems.
the problem with algea filtration, is that not all algeas are as equally effective at nutrient export, but are a great source for addition food for some fish and critters, like boodlea for ampihipods, or ulva for tangs ect.
imo, the more refugiums the better, i have a hang-on cpr aquafuge18 that i am planning on transfering over to my 75 when its ready, and a planned in-sump refuge is also in the works as well.
:cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
That's what my problem was! I couldn't decide about one for filtering & one for a food source? And I also wasn't able to decide between a plenum system & a DSB? So the only solution was to do both. Try this LINK There's a lot of information about setting up a refugium (or two :funny: ) there's more pics of my system in the photo gallery :cool:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks for right now I am going to be doing a plant fuge to lower my nitrates. After I get some more $$ looks like I will be make another one for filtering. A DSB and some LR and a couple of crabs.

Fuge #1:
3.5" DSB
and the algae

Fuge #2:
3" DSB
Some LR
Couple Snails or Crabs

Would that work ??

-Paul

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don't know why you can't put everything in one (except the crabs). I've got sand, rocks and algae in my fuge - you should see all the critters in there! the only thing that would work better is if I'd set the fuge above the tank so the critters wouldn't have to go through the mag. to get to the tank.

·
Registered
680 Posts
As CAT stated there’s no reason that you can’t just use a single fuge! You will still get all the pods & critters in there! Especially if your going to put it under your stand! The real benefit of a fuge for “food” is to have it above the tank that way the critters don’t have to go through “The Blender” to get to the tank! The way I have mine set-up I’m able to run different flows through each, My pre-filter has about 900 gph running through it where as the fuge only has about 150 gph through it. In comparison, the higher flow pre-filter doesn’t grow the macro algae nearly as good as the fuge with the slower flow rate. As soon as I can figure out how to make a good bubble trap for my pre-filter! I plan to add some sponges, feather dusters, & scallops, (filter feeders) in there. I'm also looking into adding some Mangroves to the pre-filter?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am setting my refugium up above the tank for fish/coral snacks and nitrate export. I am feeding it water from a a valve tee'd off of my sump return, then it will flow by gravity to the display.
I will attach a photo of the housing and the 4" tube in the bottom and to the left house the in and out flows.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it looks like I may just add everything in one depending on how much room I have under my tank now. What algae should I get and where should I get it from ?

-Paul

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey Prismaco, I would try to hook up with locals that have to trim and throw it out every week or so. As far as what type? I would think that a fast grower would be ideal for export, but im new at this refugium stuff too.

thanks dwall, thats pure DIY, no free delivery or pre cut stuff there buddy. agh up. *hands in the pants-burp*

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Calvinc4s said:
thats pure DIY, no free delivery or pre cut stuff there buddy. agh up. *hands in the pants-burp*
so, whatcha trying to say? hmmmmmm ;)

paul, yeah i'd check locally for folks trimming algae from thier own fuges. i already have 3 or 4 people that are gonna give me algae once mine is ready for it.

also, i like the idea of having the fuge level, or higher than the tank, that way it's gravity fed. i wanted mine below the tank, and viewable. but my pods and what not, will have to go through my return pump to get there. hopefully these dont get mushed up.
my fuge will empty into the sump PAST the skimmer, but there is still the return pump to think about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.