The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the subject line indicates, I am having a small issue with Pods. I have a 90gal reef. It overflows to an amiracle refurgium with a mineral mud substrate. It has some "unassisted" algae growing in the refurgium and I have on several occasions purchased batches of calupra (very expensive to buy online). Each time, the Pods enjoy the buffet and within just a day or so have grazed it into oblivion. Now I understand that they are beneficial animals for the reef and refugium and that they make great live food for my fish. But can you have too many??? And if I purchase a Mandrine for the refurgium to help control the pods, will it in turn graze the pods into oblivion. Maybe they reach an equalibrium?????

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Sfletch3,

I am not sure but I have never had a time where calurpa was getting decimated that fast via pods. typically expect some die off , but if you don't have enough light on the refugium, or something else is wrong with your chemisty, etc it would die off rather quickly. I have seen refugiums where the pods look like a living carpet in a tank and plenty of calurpa.
Where are you in relation to Norcross? I would be more than happy to give you a bag of calurpa. But make sure you meet the requirements in your refugium.
1. Lighting
2. Adequate flow
3. Some nitrates in either tank.
That is pretty much it. The calurpa, remember eats the nitrates and amonia and phosphates. But it is also photosynthetic and will rely on light for food. I have owned several refugiums and have never had a problem with growing calurapa. Well with the exception of red gracilera and some of the large kelp types. Don and Tom has probably forgotten more than I know about growing calurpa, but I will wager that grape and or the razor types are the fastest and easiest to grow.
Believe it or not, the tons of grape we have inour refugiums, display tanks and seahorse tank started with a single strand I got with a coral from Fish Store and More. Porter was teaching my wife and I about refugiums and pods, so he gave us some pods and a strand of grape calurpa to seed her internal refugium. Now 2 years later, we have grape in about every tank and I have given away and flushed tons of it. The fern and the Chaemotorpia, and the halimedia is realitivly new.

Mandarins. I had one for a few years. I supplemented his pod diet with enriched brine and rotifers. In a 90 gal tank I would think that it will eat pretty well but it also depends on how big your refugium is. In a 40 gal with a 20 gal refugium, it did a good job wiping out some pods, plus the corals likes pods as well. Becareful with mandarins and powerheads though, mine succumbed to a powerhead in which the intake filter was knocked off.

Do not however put a predator in a refugium unless you want all of your pods wiped out. a refugiums is also a nitrate/algae scrubber but also serves as a "Refuge" for those pods.

Ray

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray, I am north on 75 about 35 miles from Atlanta. You ask some great questions, so.... maybe I need some more facts to allow the best input.
Tank is a 90 gal Oceanic. Overflow in the corner.
Skimmed with discharge into the overflow(helps with the mircobubbles), 2 power heads and one Magnum 350 (mostly for flow, has paper polishing filter). About 80 pounds of LR almost all Marshall. Live sand substrate. 200 watts power compact, CoralLife Ocean Sun and Attinic. The refurgium is 40gal aMiracle sump with BioBall influent box. Mineral mud bed that overflows through second set of bioballs to return sump. 800GPH pumps back to tank. Light on refurgium runs 24 hours per day. It has a combo bulb that came with refurgium. Pretty bright, just not sure what wattage. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <.25 nitrates. Tank has been set up for about 7 months. Haven't lost anything except a galexia (Didn't know any better when I bought it). Everything seems to be thriving. Just thought that I would add some grape calupra to the sump. I went in less that a week later and it was nearly translucent. Not green anymore and decomposing. Let that go for about a month and bought some calupra on a rock. Was a wide leaf'd version. Very large ~8" rock, completely covered. I thought it would be better established and last longer. I had to move it to the quarentine tank last night. Only about 10% left and crawling with pods. When I shook it prior to removing it from the sump it "rained pods". Once in the quarentined tank, literally more pods than I could count came crawling out of the rock. Water temp in the system is about 77 degrees. Hope that gives more info on the tank setup.

·
2,679 Posts
I can give you a bag of calurpa easy enough.

The calurpa was dieing and not really getting eaten. sometimes especially with live rock, I have had it die off but regrow a few weeks later.
The pods are feeding on it but mostly I think they like deitrus and use the calurpa to hide mostly.
40 Gal sump should be enough to produce enough pods with a 90 gal display for a mandarin. However I would really encourage you to learn about alternative foods, should a problem befalls your pod population.

Lastly, I would recommend, even though most people wont do this, is when you get your calurpa, aclimate it to your refugium. Calurpa is a living organism and I would think that it would have shock issues from being dumped into a tank like fish and/or corals.
I drip acclimate every thing but I have a jury rigged get up with an air valve and air hose and a 1 gal critter keeper so it is kinda easy for me to say so. (I drip into the critter keeper, drain off half of the water, then do this 2 more times.)

Ray

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray, Thanks so much for the responses. I do drip aclimate everything. Learned the hard way. I have seen plant die back before and this is more like die off. Nothing left. There are not any fish or corals in the sump. Had thought of putting a mandrine in the sump for "pod control" but think better of it now. The mandrine in the reef loves mysis and brine. He/she is fat as a little pig. Color is twice as nice as when I purchased it. :p

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Sounds like your calupera may have gone asexual. Grape calupera is one of the worst for doing this. It dies off releasing all of the nutrients it has traken in plus the toxins it has produced back into the water column. There are other better alages that will do just as good, if not better, a job at nutrient export that will not go asexual. Chatemorphia (spaghetti algae) or halimedia are both better choices.

·
2,679 Posts
(Gracilaria) My tang loves it. I buy it from Jorge at Aquarium Showcase. I mix it in with other algae types in my refugium, to try to get to to last a bit. But My tang likes to slurp it almost like spagetti.

Ray

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RAY1214 was right!!!!!!!!!

Ray1214, I am humbled by your wisdom! It was not the pods that were having such a fine time on my culuprea. I found 4 (count them 4) slugs. I think the grape algae just died off, but this last bunch was very large and attached to a rock. I thought for sure it would last and then....presto.....no more algae. When I moved the rock/algae from the refurgium to a quarentine tank, I finially saw the culprit. These are brownish green like the algae with wing/leaf projections thatfold over to cover the back half of the slug. Two extended eyes and two feathery horns out the front. Once I knocked them off the algae, I returned it to the refurgium and all seems well there. Now what do I do with the stow-a-ways. Are they harmful or just a pain!

·
2,679 Posts
Thank you for your kind words sfletch, however I can't take credit as I was edumacated by the peoples on this board. But I am glad you have resolved your calurapa problems. I can still get you a bag of calurpa if you need it though as oppsed to having to buy some more.

Ray

·
Registered
807 Posts
Haven't lost anything except a galexia (Didn't know any better when I bought it).
What's wrong with them except the sweeper problem?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
galexia

Heard they were near impossible to keep in captivity. My experience was that the sweeper problems was more trouble for everyone else in general area. My Galexia was beautiful (for about 7 months), then just wasted away. Was full and beautiful one day and then the next day it never came out. After a few weeks it was gone. Everything else was happy, water quality hadn't changed, lighting hadn't changed, no new additions and no losses. Just faded away, very quickly. Spoke with several people on Reef Central and they indicated that this was common for Galexia and never recommended it for captivity. Several were so adament that they supported a total ban. Now, I have since seen several do very well, but was under the impression that they were the exceptions to the rule. Hope your Galexia stays happy and healthy. Good luck!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts