The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank sitting empty. I thought of setting it up to basically grow pods.
Live Foods: SeaCrop
Found this place and thought of ordering from them. My question is how fast do they multiply? Do I just need some live rock in the tank or should I get the package that has the chaeto?
I had a decent pod population but the scooter wiped them out and really dont like hatching brine every 2 days and dumping it in the tank. I am looking into getting a 125 gallon and would like to jumpstart the pod population in it once I get everything together.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi Jena;
Ive ordered pods before and it took like 3 days to get them. However I've also just picked up live rock and found it to be full of pods. I bet if you just buy some live rock you will get pods. They multiply pretty quickly by that I mean after about a week I noticed a cpl in my LR a few weeks later I had a dozen or so.
Patrick

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably the best thing just to get the lr. I am going to need some anyway. I have been looking into fish to stock when I get my larger tank and alot of the ones I like are pod feeders, go figure all the nice ones are. Can I use just plain florescents on this tank?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have a wet dry sump and thats all I have onmine is a reg florescent 24 watt and evrything seems to be happy

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
in a new tank pod populations are just another cycle that happens. at some point the population will crash, ussually around the 6 month mark. if you feed your tank a lot, than you can maintain a higher pod population than if you feed sparingly.

when setting up a pod farm. the dirtier the tank the better. no skimmer, just a HOB back filter for flow. load up the tank with the phyto and call it good. you will need to redo the tank twice a year to keep it from crashing on you, but you will be able to keep a good sized pod population in it for feeding those pod eaters.

a refugium can not be big enough to feed a tank with a voracious pod eater in it.

wait for it, ok here it comes. refugiums are silly. :D just had to say it. ;)

G~

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't like the refugium idea thats why figured I would use my 10 gallon tank and do the pod farm. So just add the live rock lots of phyto and let it be?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you take a bunch of rubble from some lr and put it in a corner of your display, this will help grow your pod population. The fish will not be able to get at them that way.
HTH

·
Registered
203 Posts
I haven't had a problem with that yet, you have to have good enuf flow in your tank to overcome that.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But this isn't an issue in a pod farm right? There wont be any fish and from what I understand pod's like it dirty.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
in a pod farm the more HA the better!! they like to hide in tight places, like algae and even sponges.

partobe said:
nice tank Geoff
thanks, i bet you were looking at my web site. that tank has been completely redone because of my move to Ireland last year. the new one is even more specialized.

G~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts