The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some LR from the lfs and found a few worms I could id and a few things I couldn't. I can't tell whether these are worms or what tbh.

this is of the same thing just 1 that is a bit smaller and taken top down

I've googled a ton trying to get an ID on this thing and just can't seem anything that resembles this ..maybe its just to small that I can't recognize what its like when its bigger. When I agitate it the crown slowly goes into the tube, they all have exactly 8 arms/appendages. They seem to close up when the lights are off. On the bigger ones it looks like the appendages have little hairs attached to them. My guess would be a worm of some sort but if anyone knows for sure that would be great.

This is another hitchhiker that I found that I can't seem to id either. I apologize for the picture this thing is tiny as you can see the thing next to it is a dwarf cerith. Its small and hard to see but its just slightly down and to the right from the snail basically in the middle of the picture.

Its in a nook and I so small can't get a great look at it, I can't tell if it has a stem or not. I did notice that when I tried to agitate it, it sucked up quickly before I could even touch it.

After some googling I found something that semi resembles what I have only thing different is that mine is a shade of green maybe some blue in it.

The forum that I ripped this forum from said this thing was most likely a featherduster. I would like to agree but with the thing sucking up into the rock the way it did I thought that was a trait of Aiptasia.

Anyway any help with ID's would be greatly appreciated.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
The first pic sure looks like the evil pests:D

I've only go thte one, and we thought he was pretty cool and have been feeding him, lol. What makes them bad?
They will reproduce rapidly and take over your tank. Their stings can kill corals and did I mention the spread rapidly:D

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
The first pics look like aiptasia to me . Are they individual polyps or are they growing from a "mat" of tissue ? I know my anthelia have 8 arms but even if it turns out to be that you might want to go ahead and get rid of it.:lol: (They spread like crazy.)

The bottom pic looks like a tube worm of some sort. I like the coloration on the "feathers" .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first pics look like aiptasia to me . Are they individual polyps or are they growing from a "mat" of tissue ? I know my anthelia have 8 arms but even if it turns out to be that you might want to go ahead and get rid of it.:lol: (They spread like crazy.)

The bottom pic looks like a tube worm of some sort. I like the coloration on the "feathers" .

Its to late I nuked them after the first dozen posts. I did some googling on Anthelia and I think you might be right.. it resembles Anthelias in color and appendage number then any pictures of Aiptasia that I have seen. Like Mr. Peanut said Aiptasia at least all the pics I have seen have more then 8 arms.

I removed the rock from the tank and took care of them in a bucket of saltwater. Used Kalk paste after I pulled what I could off with some pliars. The Anthelias/Aiptasias did grow from a mat type tissue they were very easy to pull off. The other one imploded after a few secs with the kalk paste. I rinsed the rock twice with clean sw and then put it back into the tank.

Even if some of them were anthelias it looks like they are pretty aggressive. I got the LR from the LFS like 1-2 weeks ago it had 1 polyp on it that looked dead. It came back after a day or 2 and then a week or 2 later I had about 8 heads growing. I want to keep it simple if taking care of it now helped me not have to remove aton of it later then its all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts