The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a 190 Gal. tank and stand I have built. The tank has two 2" drains and a 2" intake for a closed loop with two 1" returns the returns from the sump will be two 1" lines over the top. I'm still deciding on the pumps, but want to run about 1500 gph through the sump, and 1500 gph through the closed loop, any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Looks very well made! What are dimensions on that bad boy? Going to be a full blown reef or FOWLR!:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's kinda hard to say how long because I would work on it a few hours then it would be days befor I came back to it. Actual hours I would guess 20 hours on the tank and about 15 on the stand. Time spent planning , waiting for paint to tack over, glue setup time and oh yeah more planning ,,,,,about 2 months.,,,,:D ,,,,, I would say if I did another one it would take about a week,,now that I know what to do.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
looks awesome. very interested in construction. as i'll be building my next big tank.

is it all plywood, lined with acrylic or glass? or is the plywood lined with acrylic resin of some sort? i would be inclined to think that it would be easiest to do plywood lined with glass or acrylic, that way cleaning the walls would be easier since the resin can be a bit rough.

what thickness of wood/glass did you use? i love it. really like the rounded corners on the front view panel too. "during" photos would be well received here :D

great job !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tank is made from ideas from the garf.org site ,,, the plywood is 1" thick and the glass 1/2 inch. I have no construction pics but the site tells all you need to know about the constuction of it. It's just plywood held yogether with drywall screws every 2 inches and PL construction adhesive. The wood is painted with sweetwater epoxy paint ,,,5 coats and the outside is coated with spar urethane. The widows on the front and both sides are just siliconed to the wood with a 1 inch over lap top and sides and rest on the bottom.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks very nice! Well done. I was kinda wondering if you were planning on adding some sort of cross brace to prevent bowing? If you may have forgot to think of that you could add one using threaded stainless steel. You could just drill and tap a hole in the top front part and have a corresponding hole drilled and tapped in the back and then just screw it right the way thru. I would then paint it w/ some epoxy. If you already figured out that you will not need a brace for some reason just disregard my bablings! Good job on the tank. I want to build a tank also but I am thinking about making mine out of 100% acrylic. I just need to knock out a few smaller projects first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good point big t I have a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit on the top just like a acrlic tank has with a 6" wide center brace that will be screwed and glued to the top after plumbing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.