The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my Wet Dry with a DIY sump and have got everything running the way I imagined. However, at this point I am still using the return hose from the Wet Dry to drain into my sump. I was hoping to replace this with PVC, so I made a trip to Home Depot and got the closest PVC fittings I could find, which were 1". :lol: Of course the 1" was just a little too big for the drain bulkhead. Where do I go from here??? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Disclaimer * I no very little about plumbing*

I think my husband got some kind of reducer from the bulk head to the PVC

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for pitching in guys! Wiskey, they had a range of sizes, but I was trying to fit the PVC over the existing bulkhead, just like the current hose from the old Wet Dry. I suppose I could try to fit the pvc into the bulkhead, but am worried that it would be asking for trouble, i.e., a leak.

Plumbing is completely new to me, so forgive any stupid questions. What is a reducer? Anybody have any pictures?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
If the bulkhead is a hose barb you may have trouble getting an exact fit...this is what I ended up using to go from the barb BH fitting to pvc:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what I need, thank you for posting! What's the philosophy on plumbing the return?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes!

Thanks again, I'll consider that mod down the road. In the meantime I have a more desperate situation--while I managed to successfully plumb the drain line, I also managed to loosen the bulkhead. :freak: :freak: :freak: Right now it's not a big deal since its about two drips a second and the return compensates for the volume of the leak. But I am very concerned that this thing is going to blow up in my face any minute. Please advise ASAP! I don't want to mess with the bulkhead without getting your opinion on it. Can I tighten the bulkhead without tearing the tank apart or will I likely make it worse.

I'd like to say goodnight, but I doubt I'll get any shuteye tonight.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just spent another 30 minutes staring at it and have realized that it is leaking from inside the tank through the bulkhead and not from where the bulkhead makes contact with the glass on the outside. Hope that makes sense. Now what to do???

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I think I would turn off the return pump so you are not working "hot". You may have to take your newly installed drain line loose to get to the bulkhead (can't tell ya for sure without being there). I would think you could then tighten the nut on the bulkhead. It shouldn't take much because there is no pressure in that line. Just be careful not to twist the fitting sideways as this is the most common way to crack the bottom glass.

Based on your description that's what I would do....Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jnicho. Good news is that we made it through the night in one piece. I have checked the bulkhead from under the tank and it seems to be tight. However, in the process of removing the old drain tube i felt the Durso turn a little and I think that the rubber seal around it (inside piece of the bulkhead shifted a little as a result). Should I still try to turn the bulkhead from underneath, or do I need to drain the Overflow and try to work on it from there? I have read that bulkheads should not be too tight and not too loose...there is a sweet spot.

This is so discouraging!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Thanks Jnicho. Good news is that we made it through the night in one piece. I have checked the bulkhead from under the tank and it seems to be tight. However, in the process of removing the old drain tube i felt the Durso turn a little and I think that the rubber seal around it (inside piece of the bulkhead shifted a little as a result). Should I still try to turn the bulkhead from underneath, or do I need to drain the Overflow and try to work on it from there? I have read that bulkheads should not be too tight and not too loose...there is a sweet spot.

This is so discouraging!
Very true...IME the sweet spot is much looser than you would expect (as compared to normal plumbing fittings). It is very possible if the stand pipe turned that the gasket is "puckered" enough to cause your leak...If you know that it turned a little I would try to turn it back first...be extra careful messing with the stand pipe as you will have extra leverage to twist side to side. Sorry to harp on that again, but I've seen too many tanks cracked that way!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I appreciate that! So if worse come to worse and I have to drain the overflow, how do I remove the durso standpipe. I've played around with it in the past and had little succes in getting it to come loose. I certainly don't want to force it.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
No, I appreciate that! So if worse come to worse and I have to drain the overflow, how do I remove the durso standpipe. I've played around with it in the past and had little succes in getting it to come loose. I certainly don't want to force it.
Actually the more I think about it, I think most stand pipes just slip into place (I know mine do). Come to think of it, my returns just slip into the bulkhead too. I guess it's possible that it's glued in, but I've never glued mine so I can get them back out if needed.

That doesn't help much now does it? Sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
So you just pull yours up to release?
ON MINE...I can just pull it straight up and twist it a little and it will come right out of the bulkhead fitting. All four of the bulkheads on my tank are this way. I don't think anyone would glue them in, because you would never be able to get them back out with out removing the overflows (I assume we are dealing with a standard RR tank here). That's not to say someone didn't get a wild hair and glue them in place. Even if they are not glued, if they have been in place for a while they may be quite stuck.

Anyone else wanna add their 2 cents before he goes and starts trying to yank the plumbing out of his tank???? Please!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha!!!! Please!!!! I only have one back up plan and that is a 29 gallon Quarantine Tank that has not seen any medication.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update here: I am still working up my courage to take action. That means it's not too late too pitch in with any suggestions PLEASE!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last night was an interesting one, I finally got around to working on the tank a little. I decided to address the leaking bulkhead so started of with a nice and strong captain and coke.

I also wanted to thoroughly clean my overflow, sump, pumps, and protein skimmer. In the process of doing so I managed to turn my living room into swimming pool and cause a leak in my sump.

I also noticed static coming from the electrical socket as a result of the spill. Static electrical sockets are an adventurous phenomenon.

Anyways, I had to make a late night run to Home Depot to buy some sealant for the sump. I currently have the tank running with just Powerheads and will continue working on it tonight.

As far as the bulkhead goes, I took it out and re-installed it, but believe it's still "acting a fool". I will know for sure when I fill the overflow.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Hmmm...sounds like a little too much captain in him....LOL!

Seriously, good luck...that's doesn't sounds like much fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts