The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here it is.

1: I have an external overflow 1" so I expect around 600GPH drainage, I have a mag9.5 for return at a little over 4' head for about 800GPH return. I thought I would go with 1" pvc straight up and over the rim of the tank. The pump documentation says to use 1.5" ID hose (minimum) for max flow yet the outlet is 3/4", so will the 1" PVC do the job?

2: I was planning on splitting the return horizontally across the top 1/3 of the tank and pointing the returns towards the center of the tank so they meet in the middle. However I would like to incorporate a spray bar. With the amount of flow I have can I split the return into a spray bar and 1 directional output, or will I loose all the power at the top end?

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
not sure on the pipe sizes vs flow, but I use 1 " and it seems ok
As far as spray bar and a nozzle, water will always seek the easiest way out so it will favor the largest opening :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doug, that's about what I had figured, but it never hurts to ask.

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
So you need to choose between the nozzles or the spray bar. Be sure and drill a siphon break hole in the return line
Also if you do the returns pointed towards center the back angle is going to put back pressure on it and reduce flow. Have you considered Line-Loc flexi fittings:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doug,

Where exactly do I drill the siphon break?

AND

I did a google search on Line-Loc and all the hits seem to be for a Hurst shifter, while I like muscle cars and all...I don't think this is what you meant ;)

Can I find these fittings at the LFS, or is there an online source?

·
Registered
288 Posts
On the plumbing, one major difference in the various sizes of pipe is friction losses. The larger pipes have less friction (or head) loss, so the flow can be higher, even when it then goes through a constriction (nozzle) at the end. So, your pump's recommendation to use 1 1/2" pipe for maximum flow is minimizing friction losses.

The right place for a siphon break is just below the waterline of the tank. That way the siphon breaks just as the water level starts to fall. If you get it too high, then you get water spraying out above the tank - not good ;)

As for the Lock line, there are lots of places to get it, but the best that I have found to see what yo are getting is http://www.championlighting.com/e/e...lumbing.html?link=/Products/Plumbing/mod.html

HTH
Daryl

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
the siphon break is a hole(1/8) drilled in the return line just below the water line.
If the power goes off the return line will siphon water back into the sump till the water level falls enough to expose an outlet. With that hole drilled just below normal water line, it will suck air and break siphon very quickly, as opposed to outlets 6" below the surface.
Oops, its actually Loc-Line, heres a link to Savko with pics and stuff, basically they snap together and due to the interlocking ball construction, they allow you turn the line where you wwant to point it. You would thread them into T fitting on a large diameter pipe, ie a manifold, then choose the end nozzles that will give you a desired flow pattern, HTH
http://www.savko.com/portal/loc-line.asp

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Daryl, I'll take a look for the lock line.

As for the siphon break, I was under the impression it should be on the U-tube draining to the sump (just below the water line in the tank) so as to break the siphon if the pump fails. This is an external surface skimmer type overflow box, so once the water lever goes below the inlet, it will cease to drain.

How does a siphon break hole on the return work?

EDIT: I need to type faster, or stay focused on reef questions instead of work :D - thanks for the explanation Doug!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.