The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I picked up my new MRC MR-1 skimmer last night. And I dont think that its going to fit in my current 20 H sump...
I plan on using a Velocity T3 external pump on the skimmer.
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how I should have this setup. Should I leave the skimmer external with the pump? Or is there an easy way to have the skimmer in sump with an external pump?
I thought of having some glass cut at the glass shop in town to make my own sump.

Will this design work for my purposes?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
looks ok, because the outlet on most pumps is on the top you can probably just plumb the external pump into the sump and then take the return hose over the top of the sump and attach it to the skimmer. i would have the skimmer in the sump to avoid flooding if it has a problem.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think the only problem with running it internal is that you have an external pump. I think running it external will save you alot of head ache. There are also several different ways to avoid having the skimmer overflowin case of too much skimming.

I believe it was doug that made a mode for his skimmer the caused the back pressure to increase inside the skimmer when ever his remote skimmate bucket was full.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
regardless of where my skimmer is positioned, i have to have the waste collector bucket outside of the sump, which was why i considered just running it externally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts