The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 125 gallon reef tank and have couple questions.

I am using an Iwaki 70RLT to pump water from a sump in basement to my tank on the main floor of house. Using a ball valve, I have adjusted the rate of flow from the sump to match the capacity of the bulkheads.

I am using a stockman pipes off the bulkheads, the output pipes terminate above the water in the sump, and I am using snail guards on the inside of bulkhead.

I have done several test of a power outages test & water finds the same level in tank every time - no surprises.

1. Do I need to be concerned about the rate of flow from the pump changing unexpectedly and overflowing the tank?

2. With snail guards, stockman pipe, & return pipe terminated above the water line in the sump; Any concern about the rate of flow through the bulkhead & return plumbing changing?

Thanks for you help!

Shawn

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
Aquadude,

I wouldn't set the return flow too close to the max flow of the returns. Something will get stuck in a return one day, you can count on it. How far back from max is up to you. You need to determine how safe you want to be.

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
I would agree with Schwaggs, you will probably be fine but you may want to slow down the pump a bit more. The pump should slow up if anything over time, but the retrns may slow downa bit or my get clogged.

HTH

Jon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am trying to understand how the return plumbing would become clogged; if anything gets past the snail guards it would be way too small to obstruct the pipe. Does anyone have some examples of this happening? If so, what caused the blockage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts