The Reef Tank banner

plumbing planning... how should i?

690 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Fat Tony 
#1 ·
OK, my 125 is drilled with 3x 1" bulkheads and a 55 under for the sump.

I'm using a c2c style overflow but I need to know how you guys would plumb this. I was told to hook the bulkheads up to 1.5" reducers and then just drop them right down into the sump with 45 degree bends.

Is this a quiet, reliable way to drain from the display? I don't want to have issues w/ gurgling and splashing sounds underneath...

Concerning my sump setup, should i just simply seperate it into 2 section, the drain/skimmer side and the return side? I've seen pictures on here of others sumps and they seem quite complex, but i wasn't sure why...

I've settled on an Eheim return, but what size should i get? This will be a mixed tank and i'll be supplimenting the return flow with a couple koralia 4's on a controller.

I'm a bit confused on how to plumb my return piping... i want to use a "bigger" return pump so that i don't need a bunch of PH's in the display, but i just don't know how to plumb this so that I can have two wide-flow return heads on each side of the tank (with the thought being a k4 on each side as well to supplement).

Any thoughts, comments, recomendations, etc. are very very welcome!

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
OK, my 125 is drilled with 3x 1" bulkheads and a 55 under for the sump.

I'm using a c2c style overflow but I need to know how you guys would plumb this. I was told to hook the bulkheads up to 1.5" reducers and then just drop them right down into the sump with 45 degree bends. You will still need to have either a HGB or Durso or something similar to keep them from gurgling at the bulkheads. I just submerge my pipes into the water in the sump.. works for me just fine.

Is this a quiet, reliable way to drain from the display? I don't want to have issues w/ gurgling and splashing sounds underneath...You can make an extra Durso to quiet the water noise at the sump... It will allow the pipes to pull in air at the top bulk head and at the sump so you don't get that blump blump noise from you drains...

Concerning my sump setup, should i just simply seperate it into 2 section, the drain/skimmer side and the return side? I've seen pictures on here of others sumps and they seem quite complex, but i wasn't sure why...That will work. Mine is 3 compartments, Skimmer-Return- "Fuge" (not really a fuge, just Chaeto and a couple mangroves), it's more of a house for a rather aggressive Clarkii Clown.

I've settled on an Eheim return, but what size should i get? This will be a mixed tank and i'll be supplimenting the return flow with a couple koralia 4's on a controller.You want most of your flow to come fromt he powerheads. Toom much flow throught he sumo will be noisey and not really skim effectively. I suggest the Eheim 1260 for your return.

I'm a bit confused on how to plumb my return piping... i want to use a "bigger" return pump so that i don't need a bunch of PH's in the display, but i just don't know how to plumb this so that I can have two wide-flow return heads on each side of the tank (with the thought being a k4 on each side as well to supplement). See the above.. I would recommend not using the Korallias on a wavemaker unless they are the controllable versions. You will wear them out rather quickly and the warrantee will be void if you use the standard Korallias on a wavemaker. I would suggest a few of the Tunzes instead to get more flow with less powerheads.

Any thoughts, comments, recomendations, etc. are very very welcome!

Thanks!

#6 ·
Thats great, I really appreciate the advice Tony!

I was looking at the Hydor controller the other day, from my understanding that thing works with any of their koralia PH's, is that not the case? i didn't realize they had wavemaker specific PH's...

#7 ·
Nope.. not the case... but you get the benefit of using their controller with their controllable PH's which are cheaper :)

Here's the kicker though. The controllable PH can't be used without the controllers though... bummer.. or at least from what I have read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.