The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, ok i just replaced my quiet one 6000 with a mag18 :D for my cls.

the mag 18 is fitted for 3/4" threaded inlet and outlet.. however, the paper that came with the mag says for optimum flow use a hose with a minimum inside diameter of 1.5" :eek:

that can't be serious? if so i'm in trouble. i already have the tank fileld and the bulkheads are all fitted with 3/4" hose going out to the ball valves.

why would danner put a 3/4" fitting and then say use 1.5" pipe???

ohhhhhh, or are they referring to total size.. ie: two 3/4" tubes would equal 1.5" is that what it means?

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It could mean that. If possible, (and cost effective) maybe you can replace the 3/4 inch from the pump, to the "T" with 1.5 inch. That splitting into 2 at the "T" would still give same amount of pressure going into the 3/4 inch pipes. Let us know what you do. Im curious to see how it comes out.

·
Administrator
47,674 Posts
JAy when I had my Mag18 as return pump it fed into a series of Wye connectors giving me 4 outlets through the 5/8 " over the tank return fitting used on the Magnum canister filters, that combined with 4+ ft of head cut my flow rate down alot. It was more vigorous than using the Sen 900 as a return(same setup) but cetainly not twice as much , I dont think.
Using it as a closed loop, and thinking back to your plumbing layout, I think you will prolly be OK. Are you using the mag inside and hidden, or going over the top and putting it in back?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
splitting to a t isnt an option. tank is already drileld and fileld with water. everything was setup for the quiet one 6000 which has been returned. i've replaced with a mag 18

doug: the mag will be in the cabinet of the stand, next to the tank. the inlet to the pump is fed via bulhead in the center of the tank, and returns to another bulkhead below the sand bed.

both inlet and outlet are 3/4"

inside i significantly reduced the outlets on the cls from 20 down to 6 outlets. gave better flow and velocity. with 20 it was just too slow with the qo6000.

i jsut got back from lowes from picking up all the new adapters to hook up the mag, because the qo6000 took 1" fittings and the mag takes 3/4"

hope it all works out.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I had a Mag 9.5 on my old 90 with one 1" drain and one 3/4" returnand never had a problem with too much return. When I swapped tanks to the 135 it has two 1" drains and two 3/4" returns. While I was hooking up all the plumbing I had both returns and only one drain hooked up whereby the tank promptly overflowed. (not much, I caught it quick) That tells me that the single 3/4" return was probably restricted more than I thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just set up my tank ( 140 with 2 3/4 " return bulkheads)
I have a mag 18 in the basement with an 8ft head.
I went to home depot and got all 1" fittings , ball valve & hose .The Y fitting under the tank was made out of 1 1/4" pvc and adapted back down to 1" and I got a hi flo UA 25 watt UV sterilizer.
My setup seems to have tons of flow. Hope this helps, If you have any questions on how I set it up , my e-mail is [email protected].
Good Luck, Matt

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info matt. this isnt my return pump, only my cls pump.

everything is hooked up. and apparantly it's getting good flow, as i now have a southdown milkshake :D

not too bad, i can still see some of the rocks :funny:

·
Administrator
47,674 Posts
Jeepers, I think thats why SPanky and Galleon are so dead set against fine grained DSB in hi energy environments ;)
Hopefully it will settle down as it gets its bio film. It would be a shame to have to add an inline cartridge filter with a mud drain at the bottom :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the milkshake got kick started because i started moving rocks around to do some aquascaping. then turning on the pump helped mix it up.

i can already see the back of the tank. i suspect it will be gone by tomorrow. all of my outlets are above the sandbed, pointing at 45 deg angles upwards, so the sand isnt really being kicked up by the cls, but more so from my moving the rocks.

spanky's lectures haven't scared me away from dsb's.

·
Administrator
47,674 Posts
I thought I remembered it having been built to keep it up away from the sand bed. Moving rock around will definatly stir things up , and yes I have a DSB in cryptic reef. Oh my poor bleeding ears ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts