The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please some constructive (nice) critcism for a newbie - tank was slowly raised to a salinity of 1.022 as it originally housed a green spotted puffer. Substrate changed and 30#s live rock added that was purchased from someone who was taking there tank down.

I have a feeling the biggest problem is the filters - standard hob filters I had always had set up on freshwater tanks. Can I still use these for some benefit if I dont have any future plans on getting a protein skimmer (just weekly water changes which im used to already cuz of squints" the greens spotted)? Or should I just take them off if they are adding no benifit?

Oh one major thing I have added since this pic - better flow, I added hydor 425 and hydor 240 powerheads and put them at opposite ends of tank opposed to the one single undergravel powerhead, which I have now placed in the back of tank facing up for surface disturbance.

Water perimeters good and low cept I dont know alkalinity / ph 8.4

Any advice will help and be much appreciated

Hope the pic uploads, if not I will try to get it up another way and last case scenerio explain the tank in more detail

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
What size tank? Salinity should be no lower than 1.024, 1.026 is what you should aim for. What is an undergravel powerhead? Doesn't sound like something you want. SW fish never really experience 90 degree flow, so that might be unnatural to them. It also sounds like it would clog quickly depending on what kind of sand you're using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30 gallon tank. Ok thanks for the advice on raising my salinity, I will have to work on raising it.

Looks like the pic didnt upload - I will try it again but the powerhead is an older style one that has a base that will fit into a tube that would in turn go in to an old style way of cleaning and circulating gravel by way of sucking water thru a screen thatt would sit under the gravel.
I have this powerhead (not including other components of the old style filtration system) near the top back of the tank pointing up and outwards towards center. Hydor 240 on side of tank bout one quarter up on right of center and hydor 425 on left side of tank bout quarter down right of center facing about center of front glass and slightly downward.

Any advice on taking out hob filters or leaving them in

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
So this undergravel filter is above the gravel? That is all that matters really.

You don't need the HOB's unless you want to run carbon, though even that could pose problems as detritus settles in the filter chambers. A reactor would be better for carbon or any phosphate removal media. So really, the HOBs are unnecessary.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,

Skimmers are very helpful in saltwater, I would not run a tank w/out one. I would try and craigslist sell or trade your current HOB filter for a skimmer if you do not plan on going back to fresh or do not have another use for it.
Make sure to top off the water with fresh RO water... not tap or algae will come fast and hard.
Let your live rock build up its biological filtration before adding any other new inhabitants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the old style powerhead is just being used to circulate water. So if im not going to buy a protein skimmer due to cost and I have read interesting points on both sides of the skimmer/water change debate when running 30 gallon tank ie.. cost of salt for a year or two compared to cost of skimmer, problems with hob skimmers, fear of leaks, effectiveness of hob skimmers, and so on...
Back to "so if" I have live rock and good flow along with 20 to 30% weekly water changes my hob filters arent doing very much if nothing and I can take them off as it would be much more astethcally (sp?) pleasing?
One filter has a biowheel should I at least leave that one on and rinse the filter every week and change every so often. This particular one has carbon sacks I have stuffed in - good or bad??

And thank you - your input has been helpful

1 - 6 of 6 Posts