The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has red slime algae!!! I have treated with Ultra Life Red Slime Remover over the past three weeks with no results. I have changed so much water and siphoned alot of slime and continue daily the battle. If anyone has any information please respond, as I am starting to lose faith.

·
Registered
307 Posts
how much are you feeding the tank?..... excessive food can lead to slime algea....cut your feeding amounts in half

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Hello and welcome to TRT!!!

We need to know what size tank you have,
how long its been running
what kinda fish you have (and other critters)
what your water tests for:
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
specific gravity
ph
ca (calcium)
magnesium
dkh/hardness
temperature

what kind of flow/water movement
what you feed and how often
what equipment/filtration you have on the tank (do you have a skimmer, etc)

and any other information so that we can troubleshoot ya!

report back soon!!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What salt creepe said what's up with the tank all paramiters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I hope this is the info you are looking for:
44 gallon corner hexagon tank was started with RO water only April 24/06
72lbs of live rock
35 gallons salt water salinity 1.022 at 78 degrees
two rotating power heads at sides of tank one with 90 degree direction in back of tank
Prizm protien skimmer
Metal Halide lighting
Eheim filter with heater flow through
9 turbo snails
6 cerith snails
1 red leg hermit crab
18 blue leg hermit crabs
2 clown fish
1 peppermint cleaner shrimp
1 yellow tang
2 feather dusters
small cluster of mushroom coral
small cluster of button polyps

as of yesterday:
Salinity 1.022
Temp 79.2
ph 7.8
nitrate 5.0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0.25
I feed a piece of seaweed attatched to the tank. Half a brick of frozen brine shrimp in the evening. A few sinking pellets in the afternoon. 2 capfulls of plankton and 1/8 tsp combo vital.

·
Registered
524 Posts
lbuur said:
I feed a piece of seaweed attatched to the tank. Half a brick of frozen brine shrimp in the evening. A few sinking pellets in the afternoon. 2 capfulls of plankton and 1/8 tsp combo vital.
Do you feed this every day? I would also be concerned with the ammonia. How often do you do water changes? How big are they? And when was the last one?

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
nice tank. its new so expect a few algae and cyano cycles. you are overfeeding though. just do the half cube and sheet of nori. I would only use the phyto once or twice weekly. it is really great at fouling up your water!!! your corals will get enough from the leftover fish food. (I have a thriving softy tank and I never directly feed my corals...but I have a lot of fish!) cyano and algae outbreaks are due to lots of light, phosphate and nutrient in the water. if you can keep these in check through water changes, not overfeeding, skimming, using carbon, and growing macroalgae, you will be fine. depending how long your MH are on during the day, you might consider shortening the photoperiod. My 55g has 6.65 watts per gallon and theyre on for nine hours a day. hope this helps.

oh, if you can attatch a toothbrush to a small siphon tube and manually remove the red stuff, that'll help export some of the locked up nutrient.

make sure you changeclean your ehiem media weekly (you could probably ditch it altogether, your LR is providing plenty of biological filtration) and just use it to run carbon.

your ammonia is due to overfeeding and possibly the trapping/breakdown of the detritus in your eheim filter. you need to get it (the detritus) out of the tank. when its in the filter it just breaks down but its still in contact with the water in your tank, contaminating it. good luck :)

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Sounds like a nice tank - you also might want to check your phosphate levels at your LFS or with a test kit - - I had horrible slime algae growth and my phosphates were off the scale - - water changes and using phosphate sponge (granules in a reactor) helped...

Good luck!
HHC

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree with Loverotties that you ammonia is a problem... You may want to look into getting some Caulerpa or halimeda (macroalgae) to reduce Ammonia and Nitrite.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I may be completely off base here, but I wonder if the frequent water changes are prologing the cycling of the tank.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
WELCOME TO TRT!!!

How many GPH are those powerheads rated for? you should probably add more flow and eventually invest on a better skimmer also. Agree with reducing feeding amount. Water changes need to be done also, make sure to vacumm all the nasty stuff on the bottom when you do one.
Hang in there, you will get it right!

:beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all that replied. It seems that I have lots more work cut out for me. I am sure to keep in touch.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
lbuur said:
Okay, I hope this is the info you are looking for:
44 gallon corner hexagon tank was started with RO water only April 24/06
72lbs of live rock
35 gallons salt water salinity 1.022 at 78 degrees
two rotating power heads at sides of tank one with 90 degree direction in back of tank
Prizm protien skimmer
Metal Halide lighting
Eheim filter with heater flow through
9 turbo snails
6 cerith snails
1 red leg hermit crab
18 blue leg hermit crabs
2 clown fish
1 peppermint cleaner shrimp
1 yellow tang
2 feather dusters
small cluster of mushroom coral
small cluster of button polyps

as of yesterday:
Salinity 1.022
Temp 79.2
ph 7.8
nitrate 5.0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0.25
The tank is very new. Its the three month cyano bloom. You really should have waited untill it passed before you added all those critters. Its ok tho, it will pass. Use it to export nutrients from your tank. Syphon it off daily or at least a couple times a week. I am highly against using any cyano killing stuff.

If you are intending to continue to use your canister filter (I wouldn't), be sure you clean the element daily and religously forever. When you get tired of doing that, get a better skimmer and dump the canister.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The two power heads that are located upper and mid tank are 1200's both with rotater heads. The one in the back corner is rated a 900, I attached a hard pipe drilled with holes down the vertical on two sides for flow behind the live rock. I am not sure how much water they move, but the 1200's were the highest the supplier sold. I also have the water flow from my filter on a horizontal at the top of the tank just under the water level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts