The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres my issuse i got a 4 month old 10 gallon tank in pic i have cracked the glass todaay and it is starting to spider out no leaks yet but i know it will happen .... i got a 29g bio cube today that i plan on transfering my 10 gallon into it as ...i got fresh sand in the and salt water in the bio cube ... PLEASE give me all info on the transfer ... i plan to use my filter media from 10gallon in cube aswell (all bio balls gone )as all the live rocks from the tank ... the 10gallon is thriveing but will putting it in the 29g through it into a clycle that could possible kill the clown and fire fish .. aslo have some fire and ice zoanthid ,, some frogspawn and a little bit of xenia .. and i really dont want to loose anything so i please give me some input on the transfer , temp and salinity will be matching i know but not much more on it i

second question eventually i plan to turn the center chamber into a refugium acording to water levels and instructions theres like 3 inches of whater in the back chambers .. is it just as simple as to just fill the back chambers of the bio cube to top ( well not tippy top ofcourse) or will that flood the tank

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
I think that you will have a cycle which may kill everything. So, I would recommend goig to like petsmart and picking up a cheap 15$ 10 gallon. This way, you could use the same rock, water, and sand and not have to change anything so yo wouldnt have a cycle. Then transfer everything to the biocube once it cycles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant do it 2nd pets mart tank that has cracked.... sorry my freind i need to know whats the best way to do it

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
How much live rock do you have? Have your parameters been stable? Obviously you need to do something quickly! Better to do a risky change than find your fishies flopping on the floor. Make sure your new water and your existing tank have the same params especially salinity and temp. Transfer as much of your old water into the new tank as you can. And of course the rock! If the 10 looks like it is about to go, get your fishies into a bucket! Aclimate them to the new tank water just like when you first added them. I had to transfer my whole setup from a 30 to a 60 in a day. It was a lot of work and worry, but everything was fine.

If you are careful I think you will be fine. And you don't have much of a choice.

You might want to buy some seachem stability or another new tank cycling supplement. Monitor your ammonia and nitrates carefully.

If you can, just think of it as a REALLY big water change. If I understand correctly, you are not adding anything new except water and sand, so your mini- cycle will not be so bad.

·
Tim
707 Posts
You should take all of the water from the 10 gallon and transfer it into the biocube, along with all of the established rock, and filtration media. Maybe place the corals and fish in a bucket with a little bit of the established water and let the tank run for a little while before putting the fish and coral in the tank.

If you use all the ten gallons of established water, it would be like doing a 60% water change which can be done with no problems. Just make sure you use everything that came from the ten gallon.

I'm not sure if you should use the same sand or not though since this may stir up some nasty stuff and leach out bad stuff.

Prolly best if someone else chimes in. I've personally never had to do this, but I do know that I removed my entire sandbed all at once, and did a 40% water change all in one night with no adverse effects.

·
Tim
707 Posts
You should take all of the water from the 10 gallon and transfer it into the biocube, along with all of the established rock, and filtration media. Maybe place the corals and fish in a bucket with a little bit of the established water and let the tank run for a little while before putting the fish and coral in the tank.

If you use all the ten gallons of established water, it would be like doing a 60% water change which can be done with no problems. Just make sure you use everything that came from the ten gallon.

However, you will probabaly need to add some more live rock

Prolly best if someone else chimes in. I've personally never had to do this, but I do know that I removed my entire sandbed all at once, and did a 40% water change all in one night with no adverse effects.

Sorry I didn't mean to double post. I edited the previous post. I saw that you already added new sand which is probabaly best since the other sand will probably be no good

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didn't see picture, but what cracked? Side or bottom? I assume the side.

Do you have any idea what caused the crack?

If these are pet-smart tanks, have you tried Walmart? They have 10gs for under $15 also.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Don't add any more live rock right away. That's asking for a cycle. If you have enough to support your existing bioload now it should be enough to start. You will need some more rock, but not right away. Think of all that new room for aquascaping and more fish and coral! Yay!

You might also want to add a cup or two of your existing sand, it contains micro fauna that will help colonize your new sand (as long as the sand isn't yucky, and you don't ave a phosphate problem)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the side cracked on it...atm the tank is full of fresh salt water and new sand running once i clears i plan to empty out 10gallon and replace with tank water from the tank and live rock .. the sand in teh 10 gallon is covered in stuff .. i diddnt have anything but a ac 30 .. no skimmer looks so im not sure if i should use the sand

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
i had my tank leak on me , i save as much of the old water as i could i run bare bottom so not sand to worry about and when i set the new tank up added the rock back in and the old water and about 8 gallons of new water tanks 25 gallons , i did have a small cycle but didnt cause any troubles . good luck

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
yeah the side cracked on it...atm the tank is full of fresh salt water and new sand running once i clears i plan to empty out 10gallon and replace with tank water from the tank and live rock .. the sand in teh 10 gallon is covered in stuff .. i diddnt have anything but a ac 30 .. no skimmer looks so im not sure if i should use the sand
In that case don't use any sand. Also, use the move as an opportunity to "swish" your rock in fresh salt water, take a new toothbrush and scrub off any algea, and look it over for aiptasia and such. A great excuse for a deep clean!

H

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i thinks its about 9 lbs of live rock in there... the pic is before the crack ... about halfway down the corner chiped and created a crack that went beyond the silicone cant show the crack cuz i put duck tape on it ill post a current pic of the tank so i have no idea how long i have before it starts leaking

Attachments

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Aquascaping looks nice! And the rocks seem pretty mature. You are golden! When you move the fish, Start with about 1/2 of your usual feedings and add garlic. They might get a little weirded out by the move, but you want them to eat as soon as possible, boost their immune systems and not cause detritus if they are eating a bit less from confusion. You can ramp up to their original menu as you see how well they are eating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok everything transfered fish are swiming around quite well i will be monerting the parameters ... ive got some seachem prime i put in to help with mini cycle... so far i dont believe ive lost a single snail or crab yet ... ill keep yall updated and if i run into a problem ill post up but my question now is .... how long should i wait before adding some more live rock and aprox how much rock i should put in ...atm theres about 9 lbs of rock and i just have those 2 fish in the pic .. and would it be better to add like LFS rock .. or some dead maco

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts