The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I really need expert advice here. I have been searching and searching for a website or thread that will give step by step instructions for cpr overflow to sump hookup. I mean I am looking for something really detailed. This is what I know:
Going to get a cpr overflow box from marine depot
What size for a 55? cpr 90?
Going to use a 20 glass aquarium for sump.
I know I need dividers but what they are for and where to put what?
Rather use plastic tubing not pvc

If you know of anywhere I can get something to basically tell me what to do from beginning to end it would be great.

Oh yeah I want my skimmer to go in the sump.

Thanks in advance for what ever help you can give.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
The size of the overflow just needs to be able to handle your return pump flow. You don’t want crazy turn over from your tank to your sump so don’t go to big here. You can use tubing but use black since algae will grow inside a clear tube.

You need baffles in your sump to stop bubbles from going back into your display tank. If you will only have a skimmer and return pump in the sump then you only need to baffles the sump just before your return pump.
<o></o>
The sump needs to be able to handle all the water in the return system (overflow, pipe/tubes return lines etc) so when your power goes out you don’t overflow the sump. Your display needs to be able to handle the water in the return pump section of your sump so if you loose your overflow suction you won’t overflow the tank.
<o></o>
Before you do anything read everything you can find on setting up a sump first. Another thing to think of when moving to a sump is water top of. Your tank will need water ever few days in a sump setup due to evaporation and the return pump section size.
<o></o>
Read Read read read…..
<o></o>
Start here….DIY

1 - 2 of 2 Posts