The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i dont know what it is, but i have a couple little patches in my tank as well, looks just like a piece of sod, i just assumed it was some sort of algae, seems harmless.

a stalk would be a "trunk" like a tree, some corals bush out on top, but you can see a little leg that everything bushes out from thats attached to the rock.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Probably a green microalgae like Derbesa or Bryopsis, the two most common types of hair algae in marine tropical aquaria. If it is fine and hair-like, without any other noticable structure (like a ball of green cotton fibers), then it is most likely some spp of Derbesia. It can rapidly cover large areas of the substrate in a system with excess nutrients, and although it may seem counterintuitive, once established, it may become independent of systemic water-borne nutrients, a well as act as a trap for decomposing detritus.

If there is a bit of centrallized structure to the algae, sch that is appears almost feather-like or plume-like from a central stem (thalli or stalk), then it is more likely Bryopsis plumosa or some other related Bryopsis sp. These form more structured stands of algae and will generally have a more bush-like appearance. This nuisance algae may also become independent of the bulk water nutrients once well-estabished, so early removal and appropriate herbivory is essential in eradicating this potential problem algae.

Some better pix of the morphology of the individual thalli would be necessary for a better identification, but under the circumstances here, this is most likely what you're dealing with.

HTH

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
It may be just hair algae but don't really look like it in the picture. If is is green hair algae then try to remove it, If it hads a stalk like HHC mentioned then it will be a good one, just real hard to tell in the picture. But I also se some of it lower in the picture, I think it is unwanted hair.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
dobbs said:
Thanks guys.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. it's only on a small portion of one rock. How can I kill it and keep the rock live?

Dave
to my knowledge, that algae cannot kill live rock. Bacteria that change organtic compounds into less toxic ones exist deep within the rock. Wat does your nitrate level read?

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
If it doesn't have a stalk or trunk, it's hair algae and will die off on its own as your tank cycles.......

HHC

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zxcv123 said:
to my knowledge, that algae cannot kill live rock. Bacteria that change organtic compounds into less toxic ones exist deep within the rock. Wat does your nitrate level read?
I just got this tank from a gal that had it for 10+ years. This was on one of the pieces of LR that was in the tank. This is the only rock its on. I don't have my test kits yet. I'm going to order them today. If it's bad - I'd like to just get rid of it now...but keep the LR if possible.

Dave

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
The only time I get hair algae is when I have a phosphate problem - bad for corals, polyps, etc. You might consider checking your phosphate levels if the tank was used - - just a thought!

HHC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts