The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are moving along great in my 90g that I recently set up. It's been almost a month, and so far no cycle. The tank is loaded with living things that came on the rock. Tonight I saw a small Brittle star. He was very fun to watch. Anywhere you look in the tank you can see ton's of Pods. One Rock that I got had alot of Zoanthids that seem to be doing well (Not that I would really know if they weren't happy). There are also countless other life forms in there as well. I sit there for hours looking into the dark tank at night. My family thinks I am crazy :)
So that brings me to my question. I am almost at the point where I will be wanting to add some things to the tank. I would love to hear some suggestions on a stocking plan.
As far as fish... I guess I am best keeping them on the smaller side. The tank has alot of rock in it (180 lbs), So swimming room isn't as abundant as I would like. Here is a list of some I am thinking of.
Bangai Cardinal
Ocellaris clowns (pair)
Royal Gramma
Sixline Wrasse
Scott's Fairy Wrasse
The Clown's, and the Cardinal are so far the only definate one's. With the Cardinal added first. I would really like a Flame Hawk, but I know they are not really a good choice :(
PLease feel free to suggest any fish that you think may work in the tank.

As far as coral I am clueless. With my lighting (260w PC) I know I can only keep some soft coras. I have done a bit of reading, and it seems Leather, mushroom, and Zoanthids are where I should be looking. Any suggestions as to what I should start with?

Thanks again for all the help. This forum has been a huge help in the begining stages of my reef.

Bob

·
Retired Wanderer
17,222 Posts
We had the clown pair and the cardinal in our 55g. Those fish were just a tiny bit small and our maroon clown was sort of a better fit in the 90g. I think a dwarf angel would be good as well, but royal gramma too puny. Our yellow tang was fine in the 55g but was growing fast and that might work as well. We also made two mistakes with a spotted grouper and bird wrasse that ended up going back for being too big.

The 500+ book of Marine Fish lists a minimum size that is truly the minimum size. What we will do from now on is get a fish that is maybe over the minimum size by a margin of two.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I think you should pick out ONE fish, that more than any other...you want. And/or one coral.

Maybe you dream of having a Hippo Tang. Or you're really excited about a Flame Angel, or something.

You should pick ONE thing you really, really want...then center the whole tank around that.

once you decide what you really want, we can give you better suggestions of what would co-exist with that critter.

The fish you're picked out are pretty good (although I've not had any luck with the Bangai Cardinals, other's here have!). With wrasses, know that while they are beautiful fish, they are infamously known as jumpers. And you might want to look into getting egg-crate to cover you tank. (althought some have still had their wrass jump through the egg-crate).

As for the flame hawk...i think if you end up going with a reef tank, they are a great choice! Very entertaining, and with a 90gln, I think as long as you dont' overstock, there will be plenty of room for him to be happy. But that might be a "down-the-road" kind of thing. Once you have some corals and other stuff growing that he can hide/perch in/behind.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My first fish was a 6 line wrasse. He has completely disappeared. Don't know if he buried himself and died in the substrate or if he jumped and I am just unable to find him. It remains a mystery. They are beautiful fish, but he was a hider.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would be careful of adding a six line and a fairy wrasse(Scott's) From what I have read sixlines are pretty aggresive, especially towards other types of wrasse. Looks like a pretty good list but I agree with skeety in trying to find one you really want and then planning from there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.
I may get a Tang down the road. I have had a Flame Angel in the past when the Tank was fish only. I would love to get another, but I know there reef comatability can be hit or miss. As far as the Tang's. I had a Hippo tang for 5 years. He was definately my favorite fish. Maybe I will add one eventually. I will be setting up a larger FOWLR hopefully this winter. I may wait for that for the tang. Maybe a Yellow in the reef.
Basically I am really just starting to figure what to put in there.
I definately want to get a Mandarin someday. I have alot of pods now, so I'm sure someday the tank should be able to support one.
My first saltwater fish I ever had was a Bangai Cardinal. I had great luck with it. It lived for about 4 years in my tank. It was always out in the open and followed me as I moved outside the tank. I have read that lately they seem to be less than hardy. So we'll see.
Ok.... please keep the suggestions coming. Also feel free to list what fish you keep in your systems. It would be great to see what is working in everyone's tanks.

Thanks again.

Someday when I get home before the lights go off I will post a current picture.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Favorite Fish

My favorites are My Midas Blenny (Escenius Midas) and my Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) They are both peaceful reef safe fish. The watchman I think needs sand though I'm not sure if you are BB or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bob NY said:
Bangai Cardinal
Ocellaris clowns (pair)
Royal Gramma
Sixline Wrasse
Scott's Fairy Wrasse
Bob
I've had good luck with Bangais. Two of them in my reef as we speak. They are beautiful and have quite interesting behavior. Also known to breed in captivity. As for clowns, they are always a good addition. Never had a royal gramma. Sixline wrasses are interesting but my experience has been that they like to stay hidden and dart in and out of the rocks. Neat behavior but if you want a peaceful swimming fish to watch, they aren't for you. On the plus side, they ate the rest of the flat worms that I used to have.

·
Registered
375 Posts
In my 125, I have:

pair ocellaris clowns
bangaii cardinal
coral beauty angelfish
firefish
royal gramma
redhead goby
neon goby
clown tang
greenclown goby

I really like this mix of fishes. The clown tang might have to go in the future..depends on size and attitude as he matures. The only other fish I definitely plan to add is a green mandarin dragonette.

If you are thinking about getting a mandarin in the future, I'd reconsider the sixline wrasse. I believe it might outcompete the mandarin for pods, especially in a 90 gallon. Sixlines will forage for pods continuously and may deplete your population to the point that a mandarin would starve if it didn't eat offered foods.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ominous, Glad to hear you are having luck with the Bangai's. I was surprised to see that people are saying that they aren't all that hardy. Back when I got mine 5 years ago they were considered very hardy. Mine proved to live up to that.

Ms. K,
Thats a nice combination of fish. How is the Royal Gramma? Does it stay in site most of the time? Or does it spend alot of time hiding in the rock's?

I am going to forget about the Sixline. I definately want fish that spend time in the open. Also I would like to save the pod's for a mandarin. I am amazed at how many pod's there are in the tank. My rock came from tanks that were well established. My Base rock has lot's of pod's crawling around on it as well.

Ok so as it looks now...added in this order:
Bangai
Pair of Clowns
Ryal Gramma (maybe)
Flame Angel
And maybe a tang
Mandarin (when pod population can support it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love this combination in my 90 gal tank:
2 percula clowns
3 pajama cardinals
2 blue/green chromis (started with 5)
1 cleaner shrimp

These fish are totally non-aggressive, they spend time together, and are always in the open. I actually think the clown and a chromi have become a pair becuse they are always together.
I would like to add a lawnmower blenny later.
I had planned on adding more fish, but this group are so serene together.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My gramma spends a lot of time in his "cave" but he does spend a fair amount of time hovering in open water around his home. At feeding time, he is very active. I purchased a larger fish to start, not one of the younger, smaller grammas. I made a point to purchase one that I knew had been in the store for a while. When I can, I purchase fish from other hobbyists rather than from the store. I've purchased two bangaii cards...one from a hobbyists and a smaller specimen from the LFS. The smaller of the two died about 1.5 -2 weeks after purchase. This is the only casualty that I've had in the system. Everyone has found their niches and seem to get along fine. Occassionally someone will show a little 'tude, but mostly everyone gets along nicely. I also have cleaner shrimps, hermits, black brittle stars, and snails as cleanup crew.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love Tangs!
Me too. I may go with a Yellow in this tank.
I had a Hippo Tang in it when I had it as a fish only. It was a great fish.
I had him almost 5 years. With all the rock in the tank now I dont think there is enough room for a Hippo though. I will probably wait until I do a large FOWLR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts