The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I rarely post hitchiker threads, with the exception of my flat worms that I thought might be red planaria (they do have a red spot, so I am thinking now they are) but that is not the point of this post.

I have had my lights off for almost all of yesterday, and today when I get home I find something very odd on one of my live rocks. I didn't see i there yesterday. It looked like algae, but it looked like it was moving on its own. I thought maybe it was the flow moving it, but the ends of the "stems" jerk very sharply and distinctly. Whats more, several of the "stems" will perform this jerk all at once, and none of the jerks seem to correspond with movement. The picture isn't bad, but ill give some more back ground....The stems are a brownish green, and the ends (fluffy looking things) are pink in color. I don't know of you can tell in the picture but the pink tuffs, have a kinda fluffy white whisp around the edges. It looks like a plant but it sure moves like a polyp of some sort!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
I dunno, Dave. Sure looks like some form of algae to me but you never know. Maybe one of the better taxonomists will take a look.

Dick:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dick,
I hope so. Its movements are definately not plant like. At the very least I guess it could have a "venus fly trap" type chemical reaction that is causing it to "twitch" the way it is. If I can get it to stay focused, I could probably get a quick AVI of it doing its thing, and get someone to host it for a day for people to see, I just hope someone knows without me having to do that.

Dave

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
Maybe a hydroid (or other animal) on a stalk of algae? Does the whole stalk move or just the blobs near the end of the stalks?

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Time to kalk the little buggers!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Couldn't locate a better ID pic, but here is the reference:

Unbranched Hydroid, Cnidoscyphus marginatus: Reef Creatures by Paul Humann, New World Publications, 1992

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alice you mention kalking them? I have never really heard much about hydroids in all my readings. Are they bad? Why would I kalk them when I could just pluck the little branch out of the water. I did a search on a couple forums and most people said they would go away on thier own, however none of what they were talking about looked like that.....

Everyone,
Thanks for the quick reply on the ID. Glad to see that something I was able to post warranted a look by a few of the "thinkers" hehehe

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Spanky,
i found another pic online using the sci. name of you gave me and sure enough a spot on match. The only difference I saw is that in the other pick, it seemed like more of the "tuffs" along the branch, however the one in my tank might eventually get to that point.

Couple more questions..

1. Reef Safe?
2. Are the "branches" part of the animal or just the clusters on the ends?
3. This thing sprang from no-where, do how fast to do take over if they are a nuisance?

Thanks

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Jerel and Tom might be able to give you more specific and scientific answers, but I can tell you, hydroids are a pain. They will spread and they'll sting your corals. Make up a kalk paste like you'd do for aiptasia and zap em.

Alice

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still confused about why I don't just pluck the ugly little stems they are on? do they reproduce if you cut the branches?

Where are you at spank!!!!

If the whole branch is alive I guess I can understand, however if they are just living on this branch, then seems it would be better to play lumberjack that medical practitioner.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
The stem isn't dead; it's part of the whole animal. These guys have a free-swimming larval stage and then settle out to what you see now.

I had them in my nano and never saw the free swiming stage of them. They are related to jellyfish if I'm not mistaken. You might have seen the larvae on the glass; they're small, clear, kind of wiggly, with a straight body and have 5 "arms" or tentacles.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Man thats a huge set of horns! If it sticks the rest of it's head out from behind that rock I'm outa here!

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
:funny:

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Ok, I am reviving this thread... I think I have these in my tank. Now, when I see the little hydroids, I can actually see little arms, but these long things, I only see one arm.

Never read the answer about plucking them from the system...how else can I get rid of them?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Okay, I pulled one out and took some pics, seems to be the only way i can get a pic of this guy. In these pics, he isn't fully elongated..but when he does...he has little polyp type things all over him.

Attachments

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
and another...
When fully elongated, he is very thin... is this a hydroid? or something else?

Attachments

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
and another that was on a clam shell... this one shows better what he looks like when he stretches out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts