The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally did it. Upgraded from a 75 gal to a 90 gal. It took a good year for me to build and think out, thought I had it all figured out! Well guys and gals-what a wreck!!

My fish are safely in a holding tank, 70 lbs LR is in the new tank with a very scant clean up crew (3 snails, 4 crabs). My intention was to move the sand, but there was so much crud that I decided to buy new. 3.5" aragonite sandbed in tank, 4" in fuge. Been checking for 2 days for cycle, but nothing. All sponges and fauna look in good shape since the move, and my water parameters are: salinity 1.025, pH 8.4, temp 76, ammonia 0.

Now here is where you will be scratching your head, I went and bought an entirely new cuc, including 2 conchs. Based on all the algae issues I had with my smaller tank. But my sand is not living! So, my cuc is going to starve, correct? Or can I feed them until the sandbed becomes more active? I tend to overfeed anyway. What was I thinking? Also, it's been three days without any ammonia, is it safe to put my five little fish in the tank?

Any help would be appreciated since all these little critters are arriving tomorrow by UPS.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I think if you move all of your LR from the old tank to the new tank it should pretty much instant-cycle (or very minor mini-cycle) as long as you don't increase the bio load... with that said you are increasing by adding more CUC, and there would have been some bacteria in the sand, so you will probably have a mini-cycle, but it should be quick...

What was your decision factor for going from a 75 to 90? I'm debating between these two tank sizes for my upgrade when I get a bigger house to have room for it... did you just run out of space? If so where's the pictures? =)

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
As long as you kept the rock submerged and used 50% of your old water you will most likely be okay but there is no guarantee. I have a 75 and want to go bigger but want.to stay in the 4ft foot print. 90 doesnt seem worth it to me for a extra 15 gallons. I want to do a 110 but that.would involve making a new stand I think.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
I want to do a 110 but that.would involve making a new stand I think.
Don't get a 110! Its the devil size.. Cleaning the bottom involves suffocation and/or drowning! Mine is in the basement. Far far away from anything good and nice in this world. I spent 3 years with that 110.. I never once liked it's dimensions..

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would have a bottle of prime and stability on hand when you move the fish in. Ive used stability many times to do tank swaps and the one time I didn't it mini cycled and I lost a bunch of fish. Prime will be good if you do get mini cycle to just detoxify the ammonia and nitrite until you can perform a WC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! I never picked up any ammonia or nitrates and everybody seems to be acclimating okay after a few days. No fatalities (still keeping my fingers crossed), just a terrible diatom bloom! But I can handle that as long as my critters are ok. I personally upgraded to a 90 gal because my 1st tank was a bowfront and I got a headache when looking at my fish. So I thought, what the heck, I'll go 90 gal. No real reason, other than maybe I could stock maybe an extra fish. I like fish, and a few coral. Coral are beautiful and interesting, but fish act so human sometimes. Probably for different reasons, or not. I can sit for hours and watch my fish interact! Ok, I will zip it, but you did ask, ha ha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts