The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my zoos for a little over 4 months. They were just one small group the guy at the LFS gave me for my birthday the end of March. They haven't grown much since I got them. Then about two or three weeks ago they just seem to have lost a lot of there color. Then I noticed that they seem to be disapearing slowly. I did a W/C and then checked the water and got
pH--8.0 amonia--0 nitrite---0 nitrate--0 temp--80
phosphate--0 calcium--460 and alkalinity--214.8
Please give me some idea of what to do. The LFS told me to check for Sundial snails, but I have the rubble they are on glued down so I can't pull it up to look at it unless I pull it loose.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
It could be Sundial snails, nudibranch or a few other things. If I remember correctly the Sundial snails are nocturnal. Get yourself a red lense flashlight and stake out the tank after lights out. For a potential nudibranch problem do a dip in a freshwater and Lugol's Iodine solution. Search for the recipe.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'm going to vote against you this time. I don't think the PH is low enough to effect anything (assuming it is stable). If you could get the frag out for a FW dip it might be useful. The zoa that I loose typically is from algae getting on it. You can have "good" readings and still get algae. They have a slime or brown coating on them. Sometimes FW dip will cure this.
Do your zoa have a ring around them, like they want to pinch off the "head"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is your salinity? also did you add anything new three weeks ago? new dose of something. new rock? new water source? could be jsut about anything.

also what is your lighting?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are still hanging in there. How can I raise the pH?
I checked the SG and found it was 1.022. I have since got it back to 1.025. I will stay on top of that now. I was given some new l pink ones last week and they are doing very well. I'll try what you said about getting the pH up if you tell me how. I use IO as my salt mix.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I was having a similar problem with 1 group on my zoos (slowly closing up and then disappearing). Today I noticed a piece of them (approx. 6 zoos) floating loose in my tank so I retrieved them out the tank and into a cup with the turkey baster. I noticed 1 of those little zoa predator spiders on them so gave them a quick fresh water dip and 2 spiders fell off. Guess I'll be doing some more close inspection of all my zoas over the next few days. Maybe you need to check for those too (as well as all the other suggestions you've received here).

Here's a picture of the spiders from Melev's reef photos (I couldn't get a good picture of the ones I disposed of). http://www.melevsreef.com/id/spider_on_zoo.jpg

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Sorry to take so long to get back to you..

How can I raise the pH
Getting a buffer in to the water will help this. When doing a water change, make the salt water up the night before, this allows a good mix and you can test the ph and SG level then, adjust it as needed, the buffers you can get will elp stablize the Ph.

Here is a good thread froma while back to help you out a bit more.

You may want to do the fresh water dip to see if any bugs are on them also

·
Banned
21 Posts
I would say that your SG and your PH could likely be the problem. Hopefully you brought the SG up from 1.022 to 1.025 slowly as that may have stressed them more if done rapidly.

What time of day did you take the PH reading? Was it when you first turned your lights on or closer to when your turning them off. Just trying to figure out if your PH is swinging down at night or something. PH and SG swings IME are two of the things that usually have negative effects on my zoas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts