The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like a red and white striped star but is only about 6mm leg lenth BUT! each of its five legs split at the end like a tree branch, is hanging out on a soft coral. looks too small to get pics

Sorry about the pic really blurry , Have a good cam but lights are low right now will have to get a better shot in the afternoon

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it has fingers down each leg, thought it only split once but now I see more on each leg and it uses them to grab like a prehesile tail.

More like a brittle star but has fingers

·
11,345 Posts
I know what it is but forgot....ill look. Eric bornemans book has them in it. I have qa couple of them hosting on my gorgonia. Theyt are in the same family as the little mini starfsih but they move their little arms more like fingers.............if we are talkingabout the same thing of course......

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what happen but I found a new LFS and they had a grab bag of live rock. I have counted over 25 baby brittles but this one is different body on the center is more like 5 small round dots long legs that keep splitting out

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found over 6000 pics, its going to be a long night.

·
11,345 Posts
I just gave it a long enough search to discover it WASNT in erics book that i found it. Let me know when you find it. : )

They are really cool. Ive messed with one of them a little and tried to blow himn off my gorgonia when i was fragging it and he hangs on with the two little fingers off of one of his arms kind of like a cartoon character. Wouldnt let go though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am glad this thing does not work for the IRS... I have two people 4 pairs of plastic tweezers ad he still get a grip on something else. I am trying to get him to the from where I can get some pictures but I think he is a litle camera shy. The seahorses came down and checked him out then left.

He is red and white with 5 legs each leg has at least once section that two split off legs. some egs have two of these sections. His main body looks like a Crystler symbal using round dots for each section. No spikes smooth body almost coral snake looking.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Crap there are 4 of them now! 3 really small maybe 4mm and one that is closer to 7mm. They do not seem to be doing any damage. I need to find out what these things are. I picked up 12 books from the librabry on invertibrates and been up most of the night searching the web. Anyone that can help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, its a basket star but cannot find a pic with this color pattern on it red and white striped with no spikes or hairs just smooth like I said a coral snake. Stll cannot get a good pic without moving the coral.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crap,, Lost my link.. Sorry for the bad post .. It is a SEA ROD Basket Star and uses the gorgonia for protection in the day and feeds at night "sifter, fanner, scaveanger" thisper Reef Creatures for Florida, Caribbean and Bahamas book 4th print 1996.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
how bout a link or pic??

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
yea, very cool, good thing these are good guys huh?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts