The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this guy is the cause of my hand being numb after moving some live rock but my histomine level has climb, ............benadryl time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Looks like a type of bristle worm and yes they will numb you up. Different people have different reactions. You can do a search on them or wait for some of the experts to chime in. Good luck.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Robert did you get your rock from tampabaysaltwater or trition marine(liverocks.com)? They have tons of bristle worms in their rocks and that looks like a bristle worm.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, Marin Aquarium Warehouse (bigger rocks not so many critters) and Pet Mart (small frags full of critters)

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Put it in a film case or a jar with some salt water. It will live for a while I am sure. Good luck with the fingers!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put him in a test tube and removed all of the air (Same as the blood-draw 10 ml tubes). Hand is fine, my histamine level jumped but did not stay up for very long. Does anyone know if these things produce a neuro-toxin (would have to be to cause the tingle)?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I think you have a fireworm there. They cause a burning reaction where they sting; hence the name.

They do produce a neurotoxin; but nothing major (unless you happen to be allergic).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts