The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone out there has some good news for me. my corals started not opening all the way and my t5 bulbs were just about a year old. I bought new bulbs (odyssea 10k's and actinics). within a day or 2 of the bulb change my tank has become completely engulfed with red cyano and hair algae. I can siphon most of it out and within 2-3 days everything is covered again. I've cut my light cycle to about 9 hrs actinics and 7 on the 10k's. since the bulb change I have lost a 6 year old frogspawn, about 50 mushrooms of about the same age, 2 large GSP's, a 7 year old Galaxia, several tree corals, my yellow tang, and right now I'm watching my hippo tang and don't believe he'll make it through the night. I thought new bulbs were supposed to help!! I am currently treating the tank with chemiclean for the cyano. This tank has been set up since 2004 and this is my very first cyano/algae problem. I know I've been lucky to make it this long but now I have no experience with this stuff. I think I have narrowed the problem down to the plants in my refugium dying off and polluting the tank. Has anyone else had any complaints with these Odyssea bulbs? My tank specs are as follows. 75G with 20G sump/fuge. RO water only. 800g return pump, 2 koralia 3's, current sundial light fixture with 4x54w and lunars. approx. 120+ lbs live rock, 1 clown fish, 2 blue/yellow damsels, 1 hippo tang, Most of the cleaner crew has also been lost to this disaster. all water params are good, very slight PO4, Had RO water tested for TDS was 0. Sorry for the long post, Hope someone has some good advise, Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
919 Posts
When did you start the chemiclean treatment, before or after the corals started dying? Did you do something about aeration with the chemiclean? Can't believe the lighting change was the cause of everything. Any temp change? What type of plants did you have in your sump? Did they start dying off before or after the algae/bacteria blooms?

a lot of questions, but necessary to get a handle on things and try to find the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started chimiclean late Wednesday night. Planning a 25g WC tomorrow morning. Most corals already dead at the time. Most have died over the past week or so. Not sure what to do as far as aeration, I have pulled my return pump out of the sump a few times to fill the tank with little bubbles. Is this enough? That was my thought with the hippo tang as he looks like he's "gasping" a bit. Temp is stable at 79.8. sump had a little cheato, a plant that looks like a bunch of small discs(can't remember the name, think it started with a p) and some culerpa which is what died. not sure when the sump died. The tank has been so good for so long I try not to mess with it. It happened sometime in the last couple of weeks though because it was still fine at last month's WC. I think the bacteria bloom happened after the fuge death. I have emptied the sand and all dead signs of plant life from the fuge to try and stop the nutrients, just some live rock there now. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
919 Posts
What type of caulerpa? If it was grape, and it died, then that could have poisoned the tank. The other stuff..Halimeda? Chaeto dying would not be an issue. If the cyano was really bad, it can suffocate corals as it is a thick film. did you notice the dying or dead corals having that on them? Also, if a softy goes fairly quickly...tree corals for example...could cause one heck of an ammonia spike. This could have overwhelmed everything else, even the macro algae in your sump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the sump died first. Mushrooms, gsp and galaxia went all at once, frogspawn and tree corals last. First time I've used Odyssea bulbs. first time for chemiclean as well. skimmer is a Coralife super skimmer 65. It has been fine since 2004. Should I put the old bulbs back in for now?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts