The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to avoid doing this, because I know I'm compulsive: Buying something because of chance and opportunity, and even failing to do my homework before I buy. But I just did it again, it was too beautiful. :doh:

I purchased a squamosa clam, and I just want to be absolutely sure it's a squamosa and not a maxima. I read a lot about how to ID clams but it's not easy, some aspects are pointing toward a squamosa (shell symmetry, scoots, mantle pattern), but the byssal opening is much bigger than it should be and more in line with maxima clams, so I have a doubt. The byssal opening is supposed to be just a slit. but this is a big tear drop. It's also supposed to be a very important indicator for ID.

What do you think, Squamosa or Maxima? Hybrid?
I rarely doubt that LFS, they're very honest, but this time the price seemed too good to be true :eek:

It looks healthy, reacting quickly to shadows, but not yet extending completely, the pictures below are a few hours after I acclimated it. Hopefully it'll attach to the plug, it jumped once already and left a ball of strands.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like one to me :) Your not going to leave it on that plug are you? Best thing to use for your new lil guy would be an empty half shell of another clam. It's what I'm using and they work wonderfully! You can move the clam where ever needed without disturbing his hold :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No you're right, he doesn't deserve an ugly square plug ;) It was practical, to prevent it from attaching to the main rock while I figure out where his final spot will be... He'll surely end up among the rockwork, so I left him to attach on a small piece of dry rock for now. Looks happier every day :)

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The scutes are also very thin and fragile, and they say squamosa are supposed to have "heavy" scutes.

Here's a picture of the incurrent siphon tentacles, they seem to be "Y" shaped, would this be considered "elaborate" tentacles?

I'm not sure anymore about the byssal opening size. The reefkeeping article says it varies between tiny and moderate, and they are supposed to be larger in juvenile and close down with age. I found a picture of one that is wide and teardrop shaped like mine.
http://shells.tricity.wsu.edu/ArcherdShellCollection/Bivalvia/Tridacnidae.html

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a little more info about all the blue squamosas that suddenly appeared all over America and Canada recently, mine is probably from the same batch, probably from the same farm, that is from july to august 2012 shipment (from what my LFS told me). They all look similar with blue spotted center, and an outline going from a thin blue line pattern to a marble pattern like mine, similar singular shade of deep blue, and scoots that would be typical for a maxima and atypical for a squamosa. (none are showing the byssal opening, it would be interesting, but they aren't showing anything but the mantle) I saw pictures of real blue squamosas from Australia, and in contrast, they have an unquestionable identity, they are unmistakably squamosas.

It's amazing that clams from this shipment are being sold as low as 25$ to as high as 500$ (!?!?) for a very similar 3" specimen. It means some resellers are very greedy, or some had a much better deal than others.

Doesn't answer my question about my own clam's identity, but I guess if everyone is calling them squamosas, what's in a name?

Still, how much light should I give it, the maxima needs or the squamosa needs?
Initially I gave him 200 PAR for 12H, but when I raised that to 250 PAR yesterday, he closed up after only 9H. Back to 200 PAR today and he opened up the whole day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts