The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should a mangrove plant be planted in pots or stuck in sand bed? what way will they grow best?

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f...kimmer-149503.html?highlight=mangrove+fihsboy

Propagules should be gently placed in the sand and misted daily, if its little seedlings then they should be floated on a piece of styrofoam. Either way they will grow nicely with care. Are you doing it for looks or function? Because functionally they are not efficient enough to do anything noticable, but they are really cool to watch grow.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f...kimmer-149503.html?highlight=mangrove+fihsboy

Propagules should be gently placed in the sand and misted daily, if its little seedlings then they should be floated on a piece of styrofoam. Either way they will grow nicely with care. Are you doing it for looks or function? Because functionally they are not efficient enough to do anything noticable, but they are really cool to watch grow.
Both, i am starting with 5 got then today but had to take down my refug it will be back up tomorrow, water got contaminated by grandson the got some kind of shell fish fron new jersey beach and thought he would help me out. he put in about 20 little clams or something very active little things little tubes that stick out they seem to move around pritty fast and even bury themselves in sand, don't know what they are i'll have to look them up.
right now i have chaeto in 5gal along with ulva and i put mangroves in my overflow that is where i could get them to stand best ,the brown/red thick side is the roots ,right? in the 5gal i have no power head for now water is still this shouldn't hurt them for a short time right?algae would just suck into any power head after i set up the refug again i will "t" off my overflow into the refug and add another overflow into the sump I only have 29gal with 10gal sump and 10gal refug on side
I think the clams could be coquinas.

·
Registered
74 Posts
they grow in some nasty still water in the intracoastal here, they should be fine, take that with a grain of salt though

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

but do the roots come out of the red thick end or the thin green end ? what end goes in the water?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coquinas clam

they grow in some nasty still water in the intracoastal here, they should be fine, take that with a grain of salt though
I read a little about them they may not harm the tank they may even help clean the sand , wonder if anyone ever tryed it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read a little about them they may not harm the tank they may even help clean the sand , wonder if anyone ever tryed it?
If it doesn't it looks pretty cool. And I was just saying that since you mentioned earlier that you put them in still water, so i think they will be fine for a few days

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
but do the roots come out of the red thick end or the thin green end ? what end goes in the water?
The thick red end is where the roots will emerge so place that end down.

You can keep the seed propagules in or out of the water until you are ready to use them.

Without leaves and roots, they will do nothing for nutrient removal. Even when the leaves and roots do start to emerge, the amount of nutrients they will remove is minimal. One thing that they do consume in quantity is magnesium.

If you weigh the benefit (minor nutrient removal) versus the required care (daily misting and pruning), lighting and magnesium supplementation it's easy to see that using mangroves for nutrient removal is not an effective method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts