The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plan's for 2009 - UPDATED progression pics added

Ok, so I was thinking, what are my plans for 2009 as far as the tank goes, well here are some of my thoughts and plans so far.

#1 goal is I want to remove the crushed coral/sand mix in the display tank

To accomplish this, this is my plan.

1) Replace 18/20 gallon frag tank with 40 gallon frag tank
a) Seperate Pump to the frag system
b) Setup over flow to sump
c) Setup moveable frag racks (I have more details here if your
interested)
d) This will happen first and will be done as soon as possible.

2) Replace 30 Gallon Refugium with 2 18 gallon acrylics
a) Split refugium and DSB, first tank in flow will be DSB
b) Second tank will be only Refugium (Macro Algae)
c) DSB might contain some rock rubble
d) Refugium might contain some rock rubble
e) as far as timeline this will happen as soon as possible after the frag
tank is setup.
f) Need at least 6-8 weeks to establish the DSB
g) Will scope off the top 1-1 1/2 inches of sand to put back on top of
the other sand for the DSB.

3) Start Replacing the sand in the display
a) Remove 1/3 of crushed coral/sand from display and replace with
argonite
b) Corals that are not attached to live rock will be moved to Frag Tank
c) Rock with corals will be moved to frag tank if there is room
d) 1/3 of the rock will be out of the display at all times during the
replacement
e) Once all of the sand has been replaced working in opposite direction
install rock lifts and replace rock in similar structure as I have right
now, but installing more caves.

The purpose of the plan is to minimize impact of distrubing the crushed coral, when I start removing the cc I will probably turn off the flow to the Frag Tank and DSB/Refugium for at least an hour to maximize flow/filtering of disturbed substrate.

Please read through this and let me know your thoughts on this, and the reason I called this the plan for 2009 as I have a feeling it probably will take all year to accomplish it safely.

Thanks
Cary

·
Bears Fan
648 Posts
Wow, good plan and a lot of work.

I am curious as to why you will have a DSB tank and what will be the bottom substrate in the refugium?

I ask, becuase I might want to steal you idea. ;)

You know there are two kinds of people, smart ones and those who steal from smart ones. :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, as you know I have a 30 gallon Refugium right now with a DSB and Macro and Live rock rubble.

I like the idea of DSB for Nitrate Reduction, maybe I won't need it once I get rid of the CC but, I want to do the DSB seperately so I can easily add sand when it starts to get low.

The Refugium will be bare bottom or live rock rubble, I am probably going to be adding a power head to the refugium to try and get some rolling of the macro.. I could probably go with some sort of substrate as it should be clean water by the time it gets there...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and what is that going to stay at your store and we put in a MEGA HUGE PUMP to get the water over there...:) lol

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
May as well plumb Brian and Dave into the system while you're at it...another 600g of water to the mix is nothing...

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I'll handle the skimming up here in EC. :) A huge ATB cone should cover it, and my tax return is coming in soon... :)

-Joe

·
Registered
494 Posts
nice idea.. cant wait to see it.. i love your tank set-up

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Cary don't for get about your tank #2 down here in poynette. That has to fit in the time line too. Should be getting the steel for the stand and your shelf 1" square tube tomorrow and it will only cost us $40 and a case of mirco brew for the welder. Planning on staying after work wed. and thurs to start cutting it up and welding.:pint:

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
WOW.....what a plan......wont ya just make th ehole bigger and throw a 220 in that wall!!! would be easier!!! LOL

good luck with it cary......thats alot of work....

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Ok, as you know I have a 30 gallon Refugium right now with a DSB and Macro and Live rock rubble.

I like the idea of DSB for Nitrate Reduction, maybe I won't need it once I get rid of the CC but, I want to do the DSB seperately so I can easily add sand when it starts to get low.

The Refugium will be bare bottom or live rock rubble, I am probably going to be adding a power head to the refugium to try and get some rolling of the macro.. I could probably go with some sort of substrate as it should be clean water by the time it gets there...
I like the idea of a little substrate in the fuge. I have some figi gold with some sand and rubble on top of it. I can't prove that it helps anything. But I know it made a huge mess at first because I didn't let it sit long enough. I do have a question though. The roling of the macro does that help with anything or what. I have seen that at a few stores but thought here would be a good place to ask.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I think that tumbling your chaeto allows light to hit as much of the macro as possible. Personally, I've had some chaeto turn "clear" (dead?) at the bottom, and I think it's because it didn't get light. However, keeping it tumbling is no easy task, since as it grows it tends to crowd your fuge and be hard to keep moving. I don't think tumbling it is necessary, but I think it might have some small benefits if you can manage to do it.

As far as substrate in the fuge, I don't plan on putting any substrate in my new fuge. It's a huge fuge (yes, I rhymed!) and I plan to use it for nothing but chaeto. It'll also have lots of flow, which is another reason to not put any sand in it.

-Joe

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You know Cary, I think maybe your best bet would be to have a sand swapping party at your place. :) I tried to do this on my old 30 gallon after I decided that the CC was no good but all the sand ended up on the bottom and I ended up replacing it all anyways. Sounds like you got things planned out good though. Don't forget figuring out the electrical so the halides don't keep popping fuses!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know Cary, I think maybe your best bet would be to have a sand swapping party at your place. :) I tried to do this on my old 30 gallon after I decided that the CC was no good but all the sand ended up on the bottom and I ended up replacing it all anyways. Sounds like you got things planned out good though. Don't forget figuring out the electrical so the halides don't keep popping fuses!
You know since then it hasn't popped once, must have been the fridge kicking on and off. Thinking about seeing if I can get "Just" the halides on a circuit by them selfs as that is the biggest draw.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please anyone (even non-Lark people) if I have missed anything that you think might could cause problems please let me know, I am hoping to start pieces of this plan soon so, let me know if there is anything you would do differently...I am really looking to minimize loss/problems here...

Thanks
Cary

·
L.A.R.K. Plumbing Guru
2,296 Posts
the plan looks pretty sound to me.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts