The Reef Tank banner

Planning the Big Tank Moving Day

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  lagrew 
#1 ·
Since great minds think alike, I'm going to bounce ideas here.

I have arranged to purchase a gorgeous system. The problem? It's approximately 135 miles away. And it's huge.

Tank is roughly 2x2x7. (230g) It's glass = weights a TON. Stand is average stand height (meaning I didn't measure it.) All the guts and goodies come with it (ASM G4, MH and VHOs, pumps, 75g sump, etc)

I have plenty of buckets and rubbermaid tubs. All rock and livestock will live in a pair of 65g rubbermaids in my dining room until it's plumbed and filled.

Question #1: Do I rent an extended bed pickup truck, a cargo van, or a 10' uhaul to get it home?

Question #2: I have always had deep sand beds in my most sucessful reefs. I know that current philosophy is towards BB tanks, and I had one. Didn't work for me, nor did it contribute to my softie/LPS/octocoral plan. I prefer aragonite, sugar sized, even if it's only 2". So the question is: where's the cheapest place to get it? I was one of those who got my hands on Southdown many moons ago, but alas, that sand was used, oh, 2 systems ago. Caribsea Agramax sugar-sized 30g bags are the plan. And I've never washed the sand before - not going to now. I just trickle the water in over days. And at 230g, it will take DAYS.

Any other brilliant thoughts or moving crews in Central Florida gladly appreciated. :)

Danielle

Here's the baby!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats Danielle! :thumbup:

I think your best get is going to be to rent the cargo van or U-Haul. If the tank is 2 feet wide and the stand is 2 feet wide then sitting side by side they will take up the entire pickup truck bed. You could possibly put some of the equipment in the stand and tank, but you probably won't have room for the 2 65 gallon rubbermaids.

I wish you the best of luck with the move and please let us know how it turns out.

#4 ·
Beautiful tank, Danielle!

I'd recommend a cargo van or truck, too... trailers bounce a lot. Although, I managed to lose a trailer on the interstate once :bigeek: and the 30-gal tank inside it with all my other stuff didn't break!! (I'm sure I was very lucky!) I was also lucky it was around 5 a.m. and no traffic and within walking distance of a rest area... no one got hurt.

#5 ·
The extended van will give you a better ride, as long as it has the room you need for the tank and stand to fit. Bring lots of blankets and towles to protect the tanks, place the sump in the stand and load equip. into it. I did the same w/75G, used a friends reg. van. Where are you picking up from? TB area? Bring basic tools just in case you have to disconect anything, note pad, ask how old the bulbs are, any owners manuals, warranties....?

#6 ·
The tank is in Gainesville.

I am going to call some local rental places, because I would prefer to try a cargo van, but it all has to fit! Maybe an empty 15 passenger van... I'd rather have more space than not enough, but you all are absolutely right about the ride.

Hm...
Danielle

#10 ·
I would rent a small uhaul. Lots of room and places to tie stuff down.
you will also want to consider 12 volt pumps for the live stock. I picked up a couple of "live well pumps" from K Mart for power emergencies, only about $20 each you could run a wire from the trailer light hook ups to the pumps. Temps should probably not be a problem. I have the same size tank and yes they are very heavy. I would consider also if you must make a flat floor to use plywood rather than 2 x 4s. One bump and it may drop off of a board and stress the edges.

#13 ·
Awesome tank, Danielle! It's great that it's already got all the goodies.

I'd shy away from a trailer as they don't have the same good suspension as a van or box truck. Something with a floor low to the ground will help avoid high lifting. Several strong backs are the key ingredient. :D

It might be a bit morbid, but a hearse with one of those lifting gurneys with rollers used for caskets would be ideal.

Good luck with the move.

Dick:)

#14 ·
Awesome tank, Danielle! It's great that it's already got all the goodies.

I'd shy away from a trailer as they don't have the same good suspension as a van or box truck. Something with a floor low to the ground will help avoid high lifting. Several strong backs are the key ingredient. :D

It might be a bit morbid, but a hearse with one of those lifting gurneys with rollers used for caskets would be ideal.

Good luck with the move.

Dick:)
I guess you don't mean Grave Digger!:lol:

#16 ·
If you are leaving the bulkheads in, cut the PVC where you can make unions to mend it and bring 8-10 peices 2.5' or so of 2x4 or 4x4 (depending on the bulkhead length) and place them under the tank from fromt to back of the tank so there is no way the tank can shift and end up w/weight on the bulkheads or take them out.
Note: It's homecoming for the Gators this Sat. game vs Kentucky at 12:30pm so be aware of the trafic patterns/jams this will create. Good luck & go Gators!

#17 ·
The move will be on Tuesday the 11th, as that's the only day both the seller and I have off in common. We're hoping it will be cheaper that way.

Box truck? I've heard horror stories about U-haul, but it's only for 130 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.