The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agianst my better judgmemt..i think its time i get a skimmer to control water Q...this cyano just keeps returning..im cleaning & removing sand..cleaning glass every day..not feeding planktonic foods...only feeding fish 2 cubes every other to every 4 days..still growing.. im going to do a total tank make-over..add a skimmer..get MH lighting..& hope like Heck it dont crash:nuts:

could someone teach me skimmers..i have a 55g tall tank..sump is about 15-25g i think..idk i didnt buy it..my dad did..lol...kinda small so compact skimmer would be best....it will have to go in the sump..no room outside...

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have chemi-clean but have decided not to use it until i have exhausted all other methods, im too busy looking for a career to mess with 2 water changes a week ;)

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+ its only a temp cure..it WILL return unless nutriants are gone so it cant feed anymore

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
No it works good! Doesn't come back
Maybe, but usually if you don't address the underlying problem (excess nutrients and phosphate) it will only be a matter of time before you see the cyano again. I agree with the skimmer. For such a small sized sump, you should consider a coralife super skimmer which can be used as a hang on, or one of those tunze skimmers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What about the aqua c remora. It says its good up to 75 gallons. This thing keeps my tank super clean. I just cleaned my tank two weeks ago and still no algae growing on the glass. Actually my wife asked me today if I just cleaned the tank :)

I attribute it to the skimmer. I only do water changes (10%) every 2 weeks on a 36 gallon. All of the key paramaters are 0. The skimmer pulls about 1/2 cup a day of nasty colored stuff.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
First... Get your water parameters in check before making too many changes. Especially lights!!!!!! Your asking for trouble to increase lighting before parameters are in check.

Second, what is your price range for a skimmer and what are the dementions in the sump for a skimmer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts