The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
This is how I do it. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f267/tank-tear-down-145368.html

I tear things down fairly often. I have also taken out my substrate out many times and added/did not add new still. I personally like bb tanks now, but it is just personal taste. I keep LR in the sump to help prevent cycles and keep all other rocks submerged at all times. I hope this is helpful.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Mine rests on a sheet of acrylic and my rockwork is "bonded together" with PVC pipes/rods working as a skeleton/pegs through the rock and gorilla glue filling out any space between the PVC and rock. You can see a small part of the support rods in the pic

Look above the yellow tang, there is a frag (rose milli) and above that is a little yellow area, tat is some visible glue and part of the "spine", a PVC pipe, about a 1/4 inch thick running top to bottom of that pillar of rock.

jenglish's rock rack/lift is a great system, I had something similar, just no where near as nice back in the day.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
It depends, BB is the way to go if you have a loft of flow to keep organic fluidized so the the skimmer can remove it. BB can also be used if you want vacuum out the detritus easily from dead areas. Sand, to some, looks better andserves as a habitat for many critters. It personal choice for manybut I like a BB for less areato trap organics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.