The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all

Need some ideas, input and advise for sump-

I am kind of interested in having a refugeum, but to only hold some LR, nothing else in it. Want to be able to have easy cleanup. Having the LR in sump is not actually necessary, but i was hoping to keep the rock load a tad bit lite in DT.

Should i just pic up something used that the LFS might have or get in?

What size (gallons)?

Also what kind and size return pump to have?

Here is set up as i have it planned right now-

* Byotype - Lagoon style, starting off with beginner softies, LPS, and fish ( all introduced at proper times )

* Tank - 150g 60"x24"x24" or 180g 72"x24"x24" Perfecto w/dual corner overflows

*Substrate - SSB 1"-2" max Medium to fine , 150lbs Rock (100lbs Dry-50lbs LR ) those numbers adjusted as more research happens

* Skimmer - Super Reef Octopus 3000INT

So, lets see what we can come up with, Thanks all

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I am following along. I won't quite chime in yet as I want to see what other opinions suggest :beer:

·
Registered
193 Posts
First off, these are only my opinions.

I would get as big of a sump as possible. There are manufactured sumps that are 42" x 18" x 18" (I think). You might want to consider making one from a 55 gallon, because they are cheap, or maybe a 75 gallon if it's in your budget. I would make sure it had dual filter socks on the inlet. Go ahead and buy couple of extra pairs, because you will want to wash them frequently.

I would up the size of your protein skimmer. DOC can help you with that. It is the single most important filter in the system.

You'll get a lot of opinions on your refugium. If you decide it is your choice of filter, be prepared to clean it out on a regular basis.

Most important, make sure you log your progress on TheReefTank.com. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
If you have money to spare. The life reef sump systems are very nice. Japonicus has one. They come with everything. Pump, skimmer, reactors. Look them up. They are pricey and handmade so they take a while to get in tho.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, these are only my opinions.

I would get as big of a sump as possible. There are manufactured sumps that are 42" x 18" x 18" (I think). You might want to consider making one from a 55 gallon, because they are cheap, or maybe a 75 gallon if it's in your budget. I would make sure it had dual filter socks on the inlet. Go ahead and buy couple of extra pairs, because you will want to wash them frequently.

I would up the size of your protein skimmer. DOC can help you with that. It is the single most important filter in the system.

You'll get a lot of opinions on your refugium. If you decide it is your choice of filter, be prepared to clean it out on a regular basis.

Most important, make sure you log your progress on TheReefTank.com. Thanks
Yes, bigger is better, i do know that one. If i try to DIY a 55g, i need to do some more research, i know it is hidden in the stand, but i still want it to look good, i have seen some sad looking sumps, haha

Skimmer choice was a several hour discussion yesterday on his thread http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160240 with Doc. Deciding on the SRO 3000INT was determined to be the right one, mainly because of reaching my $$$$$$ limit for that particular piece of equipment. If money allows it later in planning, i can address a larger one.

Refugium ..............hmmmmm more opinions on that on TRT then you can shake a stick at. If i do or dont actually run the sump with LR in it, it cant hurt to have the room for it, just more water volume.

Hope all that makes sense.

Any other ideas? Come on, everybody on here has an opinion.......:director:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I also will not point out that the size of the sump will depend on how much other things you want to hind under the stand.

I recently downsized my sump so I could hid my ATO reservoir under the tank.

Really all you need is enough space for the skimmer, return, and the backflow volume (some of the display will drain back... depends on the power of the return pump, the overflows, and if there is any siphon effect from the return line).

A friend of mine has a 40B as a sump (no baffles). Has a Alpha 200 skimmer and then rock piled around the return pump. Makes accessing the return a bit more work but other than that he hopes to suck up pods every so often and feed them to the tank. So, you really do not need a divided section for the LR if you do not want to... but if you do it is fine as well.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also will not point out that the size of the sump will depend on how much other things you want to hind under the stand.

I recently downsized my sump so I could hid my ATO reservoir under the tank.

Really all you need is enough space for the skimmer, return, and the backflow volume (some of the display will drain back... depends on the power of the return pump, the overflows, and if there is any siphon effect from the return line).

A friend of mine has a 40B as a sump (no baffles). Has a Alpha 200 skimmer and then rock piled around the return pump. Makes accessing the return a bit more work but other than that he hopes to suck up pods every so often and feed them to the tank. So, you really do not need a divided section for the LR if you do not want to... but if you do it is fine as well.
Thats why it is good to ask questions, and try to describe in detail, ( the best you can ) what it is you intend to do or are doing. Word to anyone new and asking ?'s in TRT!!!!!!!

I never thought of that Doc, that would work fine, possibly be cheaper, and yes, i would like to have an ATO and reservoir in the stand.
Also, that will help me with Kalk dosing if i choose that later on, correct.

The 40B, you refering to Berlin System, correct?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have money to spare. The life reef sump systems are very nice. Japonicus has one. They come with everything. Pump, skimmer, reactors. Look them up. They are pricey and handmade so they take a while to get in tho.
Found his site, thats some clean looking work right there, i need to take off , but i will research some more in a bit.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Yes, it is basically in the Berlin style.

I liked my friend sump so much, I copied it.

The only exception is that it was on a 48" long tank and I put my Kalk and Ca reactor in there. The RO reservoir was external as well as the Ca Reactors CO2 tank (It was a 10lbs tank and to make sure I could refill it easily, I needed it external to the stand)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Although I am less familiar with them, I have heard good things. AHDI is one of the few built sumps that I have dealt with.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think if i end up with built sump, it will be ADHI Berlin Sump 60. Looks like the 45 would be cutting it close for a 150g or 180g.

I forgot to look and see if that system had 2 inlets and filter socks or 1? anyone know?

Also thinking the Eheim 1260 or 1262. for $20.00 more, might as well get 1262.

anything else needed for the SRO 3000INT Skimmer to go in this sump?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Get the 1262... I use a 1260 on my 40B (no worries, everything on my 40B flow wise is overkill... and the Eheim is running at about 40%)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Return

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats what i thought , but had to ask to feel better.

One more ? and i am done with this thread and questioning

Just got a chance to pick up ( on here TRT ) 3 Koralia Evo 1400's
1 is about 3 weeks old
2 are about a year old
and 1 older style Koralia 600

for $110, that includes shipping, sound good , or should i be worried about something?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
An evo is about $60 each depending. So your choice. The 600 will be ineffective for the larger volume. Also note that you will likely need one or two more... maybe.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An evo is about $60 each depending. So your choice. The 600 will be ineffective for the larger volume. Also note that you will likely need one or two more... maybe.
I really dont think i will have the money to go with VorTech MP40, thats what i would like to have, would need atleast 2 of them for my tank.

I can find them on line for $400 to $465 so i am $800 to $900

If you think the evo's will be sufficient for the time being , even if i add one,putting me at 4 of them in tank i am still under $200 and would allow me to justify money for AI SOLS.

I guess, worst case scenario, i resell the evos.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts