The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys in my 60G uniquarium i am going to start using ocean water at a salinity of 1.026 i have always mix my own or used ocean water and then added RO water to bring it down to 1.021 my question is what is the best salinity for a FOWLR with Leather and Metallic star polyps. would it be better if i leave it at 1.021 or 1.026 i have heard different things like if i run it @ .026 it the water will have a lower Oxygen level but if i run it at .021 its more oxygen but is it good for my polyps,leather,and feather dusters.
Ive also heard its better to run the salinity at 1.021 because it will keep you fish healthy and wont get ich or other things like that but does it hurt the leather and things.

Also i plan to do this to my 24G nano cube.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
my tank is consistent at .022 - .023

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
If you are planning on raising your salinity do it slowly over a period of about .001 per 20 mins.

So if you want to go from 1.021 to 1.026 it should take you about 100 minutes to do it. If you do it to fast everything will get osmotic shock.

I don't think you will notice a differance in anything between 1.021 and 1.026 with the animals you have. If you had a full blown SPS tank then you would gain growth and coloration with the higher salinity.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I run 1.026 but by the time I'm ready for a water change, I'm at 1.025.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool Thx Guys So 1.025 It Is Question Though Because The Ocean Water I Use The Salinity Is At 1.026 When The Water Evaps Will The Salinity Go Higher. And It It Does To I Have To Use Ro Water As A Top Off Or If I Use The Ocean Water Will It Increase The Salinity Over 1.026 Or Keep It The Same. I Hope It Remains The Same So I Can Just Use Saltwater As A Top Off

·
11,345 Posts
combiemaster said:
Cool Thx Guys So 1.025 It Is Question Though Because The Ocean Water I Use The Salinity Is At 1.026 When The Water Evaps Will The Salinity Go Higher. And It It Does To I Have To Use Ro Water As A Top Off Or If I Use The Ocean Water Will It Increase The Salinity Over 1.026 Or Keep It The Same. I Hope It Remains The Same So I Can Just Use Saltwater As A Top Off
I will NOT remain the same. The only thing you can on a regular basis replace with saltwater is whatever your skimmer is taking out. Freshwater only or frewshwater with alk/buffer for top off only.

i run all tanks at 026

1 - 17 of 17 Posts