The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was interesting, my big frogsapwn many of you have seen and/or bought cuttings from has been acting strange. 1/2 of it has been pissed off for about 3-4 days, and I do mean exactly half. If one of the heads was along the "half" line one side was fine the other was not.
I finally decided to recheck all of the pwr heads thinking they were the reason, and everything was fine. Then I checked the bulbs, they were all on but sure enough one of the 250/65k iwasaki's had the 3"end of the glass envelope of the bulb at a 20 degree angle. The metal parts inside the bulb were keeping it from falling into the tank.
There was salt residue on it, so the sailfin tang must have spashed/cracked the bulb. This part of the bulb had a clean break and just tilted enough too allow the UV to get into the tank directly. The oceanic glass brace was the filter line blocking the UV along the frogsawn and I now realized other that corals were also affected.
The other strange part is this bulb was on the end of the hood, the frogspawn is in the middle, almost 3' away from it. Also the broken tipped part of the bulb was probably aimed directly at it. Now 24 hrs later that pissed off half is still not happy. :( :( :(

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
How's the other corals in the tank? By the way give me a call when it's fraggin time.

·
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

hey Stan, remember the color change on the big cup coral I was showing you, the busted bulb was the reason. Right above it. The frogspawn still has a color change right along the line, where it was affected. Also the branchs under the heads appear to have lost some of the protective slime. The big cup we'll see. No fraggin sales yet!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts