The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick couple of questions for all you experts out there.

1) Can Pipefish and Flame Tail Blennies co-exist happily? I currently have a Flame Tail Blenny whose prone to being "Da Big Boss" in my tank and likes to skirt around newcomers. He hasn't "attacked" anyone but does like to intimidate, especially near his favorite cave by flashing his two little fangs.

2) Do pipefish consume the same food as green target mandarins? I have a green target mandarin "manny" and he seems to have tons of food (he pecks ever second it seems and looks kind of puggy) I just want to make sure I know i'll need to beef up the pod count if they do.

3) What type of environment should I provide for Pipefish? My tank has 4x powerheads (Aqueon 950's) that gives off a good current in the tank but not enough to really blow crabs or sand skitters around. Do they need calmer water or (because of the blenny) lots of places to hide?

4) Are Pipefish prone to pecking corals?

5) My Flame Tail Blenny is a beautiful hue of blue-ish purple and yellow. Recently he's turning grey colored in the face. Should I be worried?

· Premium Member
6,362 Posts
What size tank? What kind of pipefish are you looking at? It WILL compete with the mandarin for food and one will likely starve unless you are willing to add copepods, mysis, live brine weekly if not bi-weekly.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@wii64brawl

How rude of me to not list my specs and expect a accurate answer.

My tank is a 55gal viewing with 31gal sump/refuge. I have about 30lbs of live rock about 3/4-1" sand bed with some starry pollup corals, kenya tree (massive thing), 7-8 mushrooms of varying species, and 2x frog spawn.

My community currently consists of a Flame Tail Blenny, two Blue/Green Chromis, four Firefish, one green target mandaran, 10 or so blue legged hermit crabs, 10 turbo snails, and one very fat, large, and happy peppermint shrimp.

I would be more than willing to breed more copepods in my refugium (currently do, you can see them and live brine shrimp swimming about with the naked eye) if i added one. They're cheap here ($5 for a bottle of live ones) at my LFS who cant seem to stop breeding them (I have a similar issue obviously.)

My biggest concern though is that my Flame Tail is turning from purple to Grey, is this normal like a sign of age or readiness to breed or does it mean he's ill? He doesn't seem to have any film on him and he's very active and swims normally.

That and i'm worried he may attack the pipefish. I've had a friend whose flame tail killed four pipefish and even killed his shrimp. I really like the banded pipefish, but again, i don't want to add anything that's going to live miserably or be in danger. I don't mind if it may be a scuffle now and then just to establish pecking order but high potential for killing i won't risk.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@wii64brawl

My tank's water parameters are near perfect condition according to my aqueon saltwater liquid test kits. My PH is 8.35-8.4, my Calcium i perfect, my nitrates read 0, my nitrites read 0, my salinity is around 1.16/ppm. Lighting is good (corals opening up like nuts) but i did do a lot of water balancing pretty rapidly as of recently (since last monday) which may explain some stress. I've noticed my polup corals don't open as much, but they seem to be slowly comming round again. Maybe I balanced out too fast?

Don't add a pipefish cause i'm well stocked? My tank doesn't seem close to being stocked compared to most (scratches his head in confusion). I'd certainly like to add atleast 2-3 more 1-3" fish (max sized of course).

· Premium Member
6,362 Posts
What do you mean "water balancing?"

And your salinity should be at 1.026, not 1.16. Thats incredibly high!

And you are stocked with 8 fish in a 55. You don't see many tanks (except with uneducated reefers) with much more than that.

· Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Obvious typo. Salinity is 1.016.

Water Balancing = increasing low levels to "ideal" expected water parameters.
Ok well thats like brackish water salinity. It needs to be at 1.024-1.026.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.