The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do pipefish camouflage themselves? I recently acquired a red stripe hawaiian pipefish and in the store's tank, it was in a reef setting and always hid in the back, but, in my tank with a lot of macro, it almost seems like it is pretending to be a plant!?!? It will just lay in the plants without moving, or, if the plants are flowing, it will be in a vertical position flowing like the plants!?!? is this normal?

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
I don't know what makes you think vibrio but vibrio isn't something that comes on in a day.
While it may have APPEARED to be healthy it may not have been. Vibrio could have been at work but again, it shouldn't die a day after not having any signs of the problem if that was the case.
It may have died of starvation or from a parasite because almost all pipefish are wild caught and many don't take to frozen before they die, or too late to save them before they die if they do finally take to it.
Because they are wild caught, they have pathogens that once the fish is stressed from being caught and all the transportation to finally get to you, it's body can't deal with the explosion of pathogens that may be internal or external.
Then too, it may have been just the final straw, moving from the LFS to your tank to tip the stress to the point he basically died of stress.
Without doing a pathology examination it would be hard to tell for sure just what the cause was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts