The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I posted that over a very short period of time, maybe a day or two, our pink-tail trigger's eye popped out. This is the first pic I took, along with one I took today.

Any idea what is wrong?

He eats; we've had him about 4 yrs. His behavior hasn't changed.

Thanks,

Shirley

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,204 Posts
Ewww...That's gotta hurt, Shirley. I see what you mean, he keeps his good eye in the position to see you and your camera.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hi Shirley! I just read this article and this was the common treatment for popeye!

A common cure is to place the fish in a seperate aquarium and to administer 1tsp Epsom salt per gallon, which will help reduce swelling. Maintain excellent water conditions in the main aquarium and the "hospital" tank, and the fish should make a full recovery. If it is bacterial in nature, it will usually affect both eyes. Treat this type of condition with a commercial broad-spectrum antibiotic, like Maracyn. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know you guys will think I am crazy, but...(what's new LOL)

It could also be gas..yes gas. Fish can't fart (that sounds so funny) By any chance did you switch food or add a diferent kind than normal?

We had cured many fish at the shop (not just ours, but customers too) by taking the fish out of the tank, or quarantee (?) the fish so at feeding time, he can't get to food. It takes about 3 days for the eye to go all the way down, but it does go back to normal.

I'm not disagreeing with ya Johnny, just maybe another option..

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's been no change in diet.

It's been this way for a couple weeks, and I finally saw the bad eye. It's not nearly as cloudy as I thought when Steve told me it's cloudy. It looks pretty clear, actually.

So...a tank of 1.024 sg and add 30 teaspoons epsom salt if it's a 30-gal tank? How long to leave him...til it goes down?

What causes pop-eye?

Thanks,
Shirley:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
:funny: FISH FARTS!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seems to me that in F/W fish, popeye is a parasitic condition, treated w/ antibiotics.

Not sure about S/W.

Wish I could help more.

Lee:beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.