The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wall unit has finally arrived.....and now the fun begins.

Here is a photo of the tank in the wall unit.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is another one with doors closed

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
now that looks classy. i like it!!

now for referance, what size is the tank? a 30 or a 90?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I think it is pretty sweet myself - it competes with the big screen TV on the other end of the wall (there is a fireplace in the middle) but I bet when it is up and running the TV will be "blown out of the water" ha ha - ok enough already...\

The tank is a 65G. It is reef ready and the dimensions are 24 deep by 36 long by 18 wide.

Lighting will be 4 x 96watt PC (2 actinic and 2 daylight). As you can see the filter is the "bio-rocker" and the skimmer is "nautilus". I am relying on Kent for this one! I plan to drill through the wall behind the tank and put another 40 or 50 gallon reservoir in the closet.

I will post pics as we get started. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN ANSWERING ALL MY QUESTIONS SO FAR!!!!! (I'm sure there's more to come).

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
YL, that tanks going to weigh about 650 lbs, will the cabinet support that much?
Hope so it looks as if it will be a very nive setup when its operating

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wall-unit guy said he builds tanks into these often....there are extra supports under the shelf- and basically it is trapped into the unit on 3 sides. We were concerned about the weight but assured it would hold......after we water test and add sand I'll be checking the shelf for any bowing before adding live rock just to be safe. Worst case scenario is that we ad a vertical support on either side of the sump (right now it is pushed all the way over to the side to give me extra storage room - but if I center it - we can put in 2 vertical supports.......The wall unit guy says this won't be necessary....I'll let you guys know....

Also - he rocommended getting some type of boat laquer for the inside of the cabinet to protect from salt creep.....I am looking into that - have any of you guys painted the inside of your cabinets?

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
OK remember on AGA style glass tanks all the weight is supported on the plastic framing on the bottom so if the supports can hold the edges OK you should be good.
Needless to say pull spendy filters and stuff out before filling tank in place

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all the edges are reinforced with an extra peice of 3/4 plywood all around!

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
Thinkin back to earlier posts on heat distribution from lights, YOU HAVE A FIREPLACE IN FLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats up with that ?????????? ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ouch Casey......actually I wish the tank could have been 48". We just didn't have room on the wall for it. I figure I'll get this 65 up and running and then work on the hubby for the 300G....If I knock out the wall opposite this tank - the other one would make a great room divider - who cares if it is a supporting wall - so the roof droops a little. . . :)

And Rick - I don't know about Southport but I wanna say Yes - it is still open...:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh - and Doug - we can't figure out the fireplace thing either. This house was originally built in 1959. Perhaps the winters here were colder then?????? Actually the past two winters we have had a couple of nights in the upper 30's. We've lived here for 4 years tho and a fire hasn't even crossed our minds.....but yes - it actually has a brick chimney and everything.....

About the lights - I will mount them on a shelf about 8 inches from the tank - I bought a fan to cool that area and plan to mount smoke detectors in both the upper and lower cabinet. Also - I am hoping that the extra water in teh other room will help to dissapate the heat from the lights....

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well maybe if you have a bad storm and the electricity gets knocked out and it gets chilly you have a place to start a fire and warm ya up!;)

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
YL . just funnin with ya, tho I guess it could be used to dehumidify in a pinch ;)
I believe it that were my setup, I would cut vent holes in the top of the cabinet, cover with some readily available louvered vent covers, and mount one, possibly 2 4" fans up there below the vents blowing out. Have the fans either wired to the same timer that turns lights off and on , or really trick, have a Ranco or Johnson controller turn them off and on based on temp setpoint(trick but $, the timer option is cheap and effective)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts