The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share some pics of my new tank setup. I am testing it with freshwater right now. Here is a list of equipment:

- Tank is a 45 gallon Oceanic Tech Series with Tech stand. You can access the stand via 3 sides thru smoked glass doors.
- Light is a PFO Pendant with a 250 SE 10k XM, (2) 28w Actinic pc's and a cooling fan.
- Sump is a 10g w/ baffle.
- Skimmer is a EuroReef RS80.
- Return pump is a Eheim 1250. Its to small. May switch out with a Mag 5 or similar.
- Tank circulation will be from a Koralia 3 and sump return. Will add another powerhead.
- Heater is a WonBros 300w titanium w/ dial controller.
- RO/DI is a AirWaterIce 5 stage unit.

I am making water right now so hopefully I can drain the tank tomorrow and get some salt water in it on Tuesday or Wednesday. I guess my only concern right now is the tank is a little tippy from having a narrow base and sitting on the carpet. When I get it emptied out I will need to think of something to solidify the base. Any ideas?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Perhaps a piece of 1/2" or, preferrably, 3/4" plywood or particle board about 2" or so bigger on all sides placed under the current base would help stabilize it. I've always rather liked short, squat tanks (i.e. 40 gallon breeder) for that reason and because I like a lot of "floor space" for organizing things.

How tall is this tank? I'm sure you can see that the light doesn't penetrate as well to the bottom. I mention this because you need to think about what you want to keep. Light loving corals (i.e. sps) will do fine in the upper half but may be a little tough in the bottom half. Of course this gives you a great opportunity to mix up your corals somewhat by keeping the less light loving ones further down. It may also be inviting for many species of anthias, fish that tend to like less light.

Stacking LR in it may be a bit of a challenge. However, if you're good with rock and very patient you can get a really pleasant effect! I'd consider an overhanging edge about 1/2 to 1/3 from the bottom. This would be a great place for sun polyps and fish that like lower light levels!

It'll DEFINITELY be interesting to see the progression of it!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided I am going to anchor the stand to the wall just to be safe. I get nervous with kids running around. Looking back I wished I would have went with a 75 or 120. The tank specs are 24" long x 18" wide x 24" tall. I plan on keeping a variety of softies, lps and a few sps.

Perhaps a piece of 1/2" or, preferrably, 3/4" plywood or particle board about 2" or so bigger on all sides placed under the current base would help stabilize it. I've always rather liked short, squat tanks (i.e. 40 gallon breeder) for that reason and because I like a lot of "floor space" for organizing things.

How tall is this tank? I'm sure you can see that the light doesn't penetrate as well to the bottom. I mention this because you need to think about what you want to keep. Light loving corals (i.e. sps) will do fine in the upper half but may be a little tough in the bottom half. Of course this gives you a great opportunity to mix up your corals somewhat by keeping the less light loving ones further down. It may also be inviting for many species of anthias, fish that tend to like less light.

Stacking LR in it may be a bit of a challenge. However, if you're good with rock and very patient you can get a really pleasant effect! I'd consider an overhanging edge about 1/2 to 1/3 from the bottom. This would be a great place for sun polyps and fish that like lower light levels!

It'll DEFINITELY be interesting to see the progression of it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts