The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 8 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've had my lil ibi picotope running for a little over a year now. All this time I've been using regular carbon filter media in the stock filter. My nitrates have been steadily climbing week after week up to about 80ppm. I was wondering if I took out the media and other innards, and replaced it with live rock rubble, would it lower the nitrates? Also would it be sufficient filtration? All I have right now is: 3 snails, 4 hermits, and 1 peppermint shrimp. Any input appreciated. Thanks

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so take everything out of the filter? Even the little bio sponge? I've already put a couple pieces of rubble in and I think Ill leave em (they don't look too good in the tank anyway).

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a bit much for my lil 3 gallon picotope but it looks all good to me. What lighting are you using on the refugium? How many gallons is that? Looks like a 20 long but I am probably mistaken haha

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah right now I just have a small 9 watt 50/50 on my pico. I just bought a nice LED fixture I'm waiting for off amazon. I eventually want to get a biocube 14 as an upgrade reef tank and possibly make this little 3 gallon a dwarf puffer planted desk tank. But that's a lot further down the road haha.

1 - 4 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.