The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Current Full Tank shot 9/4/2011

Just thought I would share my Pico Vase with everyone. The Vase holds about 1.5 gallons of water (actual water volume after rocks and sand). Probably upwards of 5lbs of live rock on there and xx pounds of sand.

Lighting: 4 Cree LED setup. 2x Cool White and 2x Royal Blue
Flow: Airstone is used for water movement

Maintenance:
1 Gallon water changes any where from 1 to 3 times a week. Depends on schedule
Siphon out detritus at each water change
Feed cyclopeze 1/4 cube or less once a week or less
Clean glass once a week
top off maybe once a week, but usually do not need to

Stock:
Zoas
Pallys
GSP
recovering LPS (Not quite sure of the type)
Small Monti Frag
2 snails
1 small hermit

Here is how it started.

8/7/11

Decided to take out the Crushed coral shortly after setting it up.

8/9/11

And here are some pics of what is in the tank

8/9/11

9/4/11

9/4/11

9/4/11

Hope you like.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats really cool! Does the airstone turn the whole tank into a skimmer with foam on the surface?

The bubbles are not as fine as the ones produced by a wooden air stone, so no real skimmer action taking place. Large particles could be removed from the water this way, but it is not very likely.

No Tang??? really? what if I get a small one? Sure it will grow, but I can take it out when it does. LOL

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love sexy shrimp, but I am scared of them too. This tank will be mostly zoas, and they can get an appetite for them. Of course you can counter this by feeding them regularly, but I really don't want that much food going into the tank.
Since this tank is some what of an experiment, I just might do it though.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like this inn fact now I want one like it. Does the airstone move the water enough?
You will have to define "Enough".
The bubbles displace the water creating water movement, but it is not the sand dune making current that you would see in a power head. When I feed cyclopeze you can totally see them moving throughout the tank though.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
I have a pair of Sexy Shrimp & they don't eat my zoas - they just pick at food particles that settle into them (they close a little then open right back up when the shrimp move on). They are very cool! Nice idea - looks good.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have seen tons of posts in various different places of people talking about Sexy shrimp eating zoas. As long as you keep them fed they should be ok though. Maybe in a month or 2 when the tank is a little older I will give them a shot. They are the perfect size

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rics would be nice in there, but their single polyp size can be an issue, and the fact that they do not play well with others.
LPS will be a no go for this tank. I want fast growers.
SPS will be clippings from my 5.5 tank, pretty sure they will mostly brown out the vase though. THat is what has happened with the monti frag so far, but it is growing very well.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how do you have the lights mounted or set up?
The vase is on my kitchen counter with a cabinet above it. I just have the heatsink with the leds mounted to the under side of the cabinet. Used a standard wall wort for the power supply, cut the cable really short (won't be able to use it for much after this) so I wouldn't have excess wire to manage.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts