The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walmart has there canning stuff out for the year, along with "Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime" for 1.92 or so per lb.

Maybe the stores in your area will have the same. Just FYI. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
hey if you read this wharyat what department in Wal-mart had this? I live in Oregon, called the local walmart and they didn't know if they sold it or what department it would be in. thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
my local Hyvee grocery store just started carrying Mrs. Wages. used to only carry ball brand, which i heard had a little iron in it.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stevendietzel said:
hey if you read this wharyat what department in Wal-mart had this? I live in Oregon, called the local walmart and they didn't know if they sold it or what department it would be in. thanks

I'm not sure, I have my mom on the pursuit of pickling lime wherever she goes to shop; she said it's around the canning supplies, by the jars and other stuff. I ended up with 8 lbs of it, not sure if they had more in the back.

·
Administrator
46,747 Posts
Yup its in the canning supplies usually, worst thing i have heard about Mrs Wages or ball Pickling lime is that its a tad coarser than the spendy reef grade stuff and "may" cause premature wear on cheapo maxijet pumps used in several Nilsen Kalk reactor designs

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
My experience is that it's a little more coarse than the expensive stuff. I've lost a powerhead off teh expensive stuff too, but it took two years of abuse. With the price difference, I can get another dozen or so powerheads!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vince, where do you get yours? I have checked a couple of Wal-Marts and cant seem to find it. I did find Mrs. Wages Salsa mix, that might make my fish taste better, but doubt it will do much for my PH.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
skidmarks said:
Vince, where do you get yours? I have checked a couple of Wal-Marts and cant seem to find it. I did find Mrs. Wages Salsa mix, that might make my fish taste better, but doubt it will do much for my PH.
I get it at the Wal Mart at New Market Square, 21st and Maize. the cost is 1.98 per lbs. my wife got 2 lbs for me last night there.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
problem with Mrs Wages and Ball pickling lime is that they have not been available either due t some manufacturing problem or seasonality of the product. I have been watching in the Southeast in many stores,l only to find if for the first time in months about a week or two ago.

I bought everything they had (12 pounds at 1.92 each). BTW, new packaging this year, an all plastic container for the Ball's pickling lime, now I have to fight the wife for it (she likes to make pickles...)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Another helpfull suggestion for us DIY converts, is "CAL"(calcium hydroxide), same thing but found in Mexican produce stores. So if your towns got a lil mexican grocery check them out as well.cheap cheap!

-Justin

1 - 20 of 48 Posts