The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry no pics yet.. had to go back to work and he hid as soon as I put him in the tank.

I know these fish require a tank thats been up and stable for a while, due to them feeding on copepods. My tank is only about 3 months old, but I am 100% sure I have copepods. the way my sump was set up, all of the water would go through my skimmer. And I have a microfilter sock on the output of the skimmer, I was pulling about 10 copepods out of it every couple days. I have since redid the fuge output to come out right over the return pump, so all the copepods should make to the tank now..

thing I need to know, is 10-15 pods every few days enough for the goby? I have 6 other fish in the tank.. 2 clowns, 1 damsil, 1 other regular goby, 1 purple and 1 yellow(havnt be able to identify them) have pics if anyone wants to take a shot at it.

So, if 10-15 pods is not enough.. can I buy more? Can I get them online? and will they survive the 4-7 day trip to okinawa? I worry now that I cant count how many I have that they might all disappear.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
What size is your tank? How much live rock?

I'd bet that Mandarins eat 10-15 pods per hour or more.

Jenn

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
unfortunately in the first 6 months of a tanks life you will get a pod population boom. at around the 6 month mark it will crash almost to 0. this is why it is recommended to wait over a year before getting a mandarin to make sure your tank is actually mature enough to support a decent population of pods long term.

you might need to setup another tank just for pods. a 10g with a bunch of LR and fed phyto will do the trick. you do not want to put a skimmer on it since you want the phyto in there for the pods to feed. these tanks will last for about a year max before they will crash and you start again.

mandarins are one of the more difficult fish to keep in any tank smaller than a 75 without any other pod predators.

G~

·
5,916 Posts
I concur with Geoff. To answer one of the original questions that I missed in the initial response, yes you can buy pods. I know of some that come bottled and have a shelf life of 3 months so I'm sure they'd make the trip although I don't know about shipping 'live' stuff overseas... while it could probably pass as some inert supplement, if customs or somebody along the way opened it... dunno - not my area of expertise.

And while this may sound terribly picky... it's one of the biggest pet peeves I have in this industry... it's a Mandarin Dragonet, not a goby. And I'm not scolding you - that's how they are marketed and sold, and *that* bugs me. Apparently all over the world the Dragonets are marketed as something they aren't - 'Scooter Blenny' and 'Mandarin Goby'... fact is they are neither goby nor blenny but the names imply groups of fish that are relatively easy to keep and therein lies my ire - they aren't easy to keep but unsuspecting hobbyists are given the false notion that they are, by virtue of their names.

Unfortunately these magnificent little fish often aren't well kept in LFS or wholesalers either... :(

They are sustainable in larger, well established tanks with lots of live rock and preferably a refugium.. but newer tanks or smaller tanks are usually a death sentence.

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
Spikefin? Got a pic or scientific name?

Many gobies and blennies don't have a swim bladder so they aren't neutrally bouyant. I don't want to steer this thread off topic - but it's possible that what you have is indeed a goby.

The down side of common names is that they aren't universal like scientific names are. Latin names are the same all over the world - common names vary.

Jenn

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Thanks, Jenn!! :)

And I have to agree with everyone above. These beautiful fish are in most cases just better left out in the ocean.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If it weren't for this website, I probably would have already had a mandarin by now. They are really cool fish. Thanks to you guys though I've learned that 1)My tank is too young for these
2)My pod population looks good, but it won't last
3)Some LFS are willing to sell anything to anyone just to get it out the door.
4)Some fish are oversold and overmarketed.

It's a shame that some LFS take advantage of the ignorance of those of us who are new to the hobby. I feel lucky in that one of my LFS has talked me out of more sales than he's made. Thanks for letting me vent.
I wish you the best of luck with your new fish fdokinawa and please keep us posted on it's progress. Some of these kind folks can help you take care of him.:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My tank is 55 gal with over 50lbs of LR.. I have a 10gal fuge with about 4 small pieces of LR and a 20 gal sump. Dont worry, this fish won't die if I can help it. He was given to me by a friend of mine with a brand new tank that didnt know what it was, he did research and found out how hard they are to keep. He offered it to me because my tank has been up a lot longer than his has. If I cant get pods through the mail or from my LFS then he will either go to my other friends tank(its been running for years). I'm hopeing that I can get pods from my LFS, biggest problem with that is they dont speek english, so I'm going to have to rely on my girlfriend to translate for me. I've seen large amounts of phyto containers in the back of thier store, so Im hopeing that they grow pods also..

Thanks for the info.. I'll let you guys know what happens..

Tank

Sump

Fuge

Unknown fish #1

Best pic I can get of unknown fish #2 he hids a lot, only comes out to chase the other fish out of his area.

·
5,916 Posts
Fish #1 is a Stawberry Pseudochromis aka Magenta Dottyback, or specifically Pseudochromis porphyreus.

Fish 2 I'm not sure - can't see enough of it it but it looks like a damsel.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I think Jenn's right on both fish. I have both in my 55g tank too. Second is a Yellow Damsel. Both of mine are very aggressive. The damsel has bitten me twice in the last month while I was trying to move a fallen Kenya Tree in her territory. The Pseudochromis attacked my Red Scooter Dragonet several weeks ago and killed him. Be cautious.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool.. thanks for the identification. the dottyback has just been hanging out on its own for the most part. But the damsel is very agressive to anyone that goes near it.
I'll definatly keep an eye on them.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Watch your fish eat. I starved mine with twice the rock in a 90g and killed it. Do what is right but if you don't see it eating take it back and try again later. Mine would not eat anything and unlike my mutt it won't eat the cheapo crappy stuff when it gets hungry.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Not to take this off topic again.... But if they couldnt speak english, it wouldnt be "My" LFS lol =\

I personally would just give it to the friend who has a tank that is more suitable. Though it may seem doable initially, it just seems like it'd be a hassle to have to go buy him pods. The first few months it might be ok, but after that, it'll get old. If it were mine, itd do great for a few months, then I'd slack off, naturally, and itd end up dying. Id just find it a nice home...... But thats just my opinion

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Buying bottles of pods is not cheap! I think the bottles at my LFS hold 500 pods and sell for $20. What's that? about a 2 day supply?:eek:

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Jflip2002 said:
Not to take this off topic again.... But if they couldnt speak english, it wouldnt be "My" LFS lol =\

I personally would just give it to the friend who has a tank that is more suitable. Though it may seem doable initially, it just seems like it'd be a hassle to have to go buy him pods. The first few months it might be ok, but after that, it'll get old. If it were mine, itd do great for a few months, then I'd slack off, naturally, and itd end up dying. Id just find it a nice home...... But thats just my opinion
How the hell did a Bimmer fan sneak on in. Where are my manners.

WELCOME TO TRT!!!!!! :lol::thumbup::nuts:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts