The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my favorite LFS today in the San Fernando Valley and snapped a pic with my Treo. Sorry it's a crappy pic, I'll try to get a better pic next time. As you can see, they have a 75/100 gallon tank mounted up high on the wall. When the tank fills up, it creates a siphon and pulls all of the water out of the tank leaving about 2" of water at the bottom and rushes down through a y-fitting out two 2" bulkheads into the 2 lower tubs, which look like they measure 12 foot X 4 foot X 1 foot high. The corals are absolutely gorgeous, there is nothing ugly in the tank. He has them tied together with two 2" bulkheads and three 1 1/2" bulkheads. It drains into a large bucket with floss where the pump pushes it back to the flush tank. Above each tub they have a 400w 14k MH. It would be easy to do at home, but would have a heck of a time hiding all the plumbing. They have an assortment of pipefish, seahorses, and a couple of small Tangs swimming around in there as well. Just thought it would be cool to post and might give someone an idea for their tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was lucky getting this pic because the owner was out buying livestock. Tee hee I'll take a real camera one day next week and try to get better pics. Or better yet, I'll ask him if it's cool if I take some, if he says no, then I'll go commando again!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why yes it is Vivid Aquariums. Have you been there? Beautiful little shop and excellent prices.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And this is a small shop to beat all. There is a warehouse not too far away that is 20 times bigger. I'd say there are 20 LFS's within a 25 mile radius of where I live, but only 3 that I would buy anything from. I'm surprised PETA hasn't showed up and pitched a fit at some of them. If I go into a store and see a dead fish floating, I'll tell whomever is in charge. If they don't get it out within 10 minutes, I refuse to buy anything there.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
I wish we had that kind of choice where I live, there are only 4 LFS in a 100 mile radius and one is closing down and the rest well...pretty much suck. I am forced to do all of my shopping online now :(

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
rchull69 said:
And this is a small shop to beat all. There is a warehouse not too far away that is 20 times bigger. I'd say there are 20 LFS's within a 25 mile radius of where I live, but only 3 that I would buy anything from. I'm surprised PETA hasn't showed up and pitched a fit at some of them. If I go into a store and see a dead fish floating, I'll tell whomever is in charge. If they don't get it out within 10 minutes, I refuse to buy anything there.
I would love to check this place out, where is it located exactly?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ok... so this tank simulates the tide? is that what your saying, every couple minutes all the water flows out, so its almost empty of water, then fills back up, like waves rising and lowering?? what is the purpose? do some animals need that?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Canoga Park in the San Fernando Valley. You can go to www.vividaquariums.com and check out the site. The owner is very cool and very knowledgeable. I was checking out a 10 inch adult Vlamingi Tang today that he had. You can actually pet it as it comes right up to your hand and nudges it like a dog wanting to be petted. I was there for an hour playing with it. He also has a huge QT tank in the back room out of view where he puts all the new livestock in before selling. I have yet in the year I've been visiting his shop seen a dead or sick fish. Corals are plain outrageous as well, very colorful. If there is something he doesn't have, he will get it the following week. We definitely need more shops like this

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok... so this tank simulates the tide? is that what your saying, every couple minutes all the water flows out, so its almost empty of water, then fills back up, like waves rising and lowering?? what is the purpose? do some animals need that?
I think it's more for the corals and anenomes than for the fish, I really don't have an answer. Maybe someone with more knowledge can pipe in and educate us on it.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
haha, but is that what it does? lol, do any of the corals and such get exposed to air?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, they stay submersed and never are exposed to air. There are a couple of plants that grow up out of the water though. He has the best looking clams that I have ever seen in any fish store to date. They seem to be the ones that thrive the most. If he will let me take pics, I will post a slew of them that will blow your minds.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i dont see why he wouldnt, its only free advertising, tell him you want to post them on a forum because you think his store is the best. he couldnt possibly resist, even tell him the forum address so he can come check out our comments!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, but you know californians, might have a complex or something. hahaha JK, I'll talk to him and get some good pics, he will probably get a kick out of it and take it as a compliment. I definitely would.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts