The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
awww it can be fixed
do you have any fish or clean up crew? what size tank is it?
im sure it looks better with the lights on :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i have some of the red slime in my 30 gallon tank too. (it's from using some tap water to top off the tank - when i didn't have any fresh or saltwater.) i've been blowing the stuff off my rocks with a turkey baster and then doing a water changes two times a week. it is helping.
i don't want to use the red slime remover that is out there... i don't want to put anything in the tank that i don't have to.
good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
yep dont add any crazy removers they do more harm than good
on the bright side algae never killed anybody :funny:

i get red slime (cyano) in the hot summer months. red slime is usually an excess nutrient problem but it can also happen in hot tanks. i dont have a chiller so my tanks can get up there in the high 80's, this is a cyano's dream

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Hang tough, Chandu64! :)

Water changes...do you do them? Do you use RO/DI? What kind of flow do you have in the tank? What kind of lights do you have, and how old are they? How big is the tank, and what do you have in it? Do you have a skimmer? If so, what kind is it? How often do you feed? Do you dose anything in the tank?

An algae covered tank blows. But it can be beaten.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
my lfs advised that i dont do any water changes (unless nessecary) to let the cyo run it course dont over feed and it will starve out.

It worked will for me.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Alright...I just read your slime thread. New tanks will go through these algae cycles...it is normal. As stated, cutting off the algae's nutrients is key. And it won't happen overnight. I wish you the best in your battle!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use RO water for changes/ top off, i do blow off with turkey baster(only the red slime blows off, not the brown crap) Its a 29gal, regal, clown, spnge, anemone x2, star polpp. 3 months old, i do have a skimmer running 24/7. i feed a little amounts every other day. Water flow-i turn over the water volume 23x. i do not dose the tank. i usta use purple up, but barely n e purple on the rocks.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Good luck, it'll eventually go away. Try siphoning it off when doing WC's instead of blowing it around with a turkey baster

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Brown stuff sounds like diatoms fed by silica, that should go away on its own as well. Water changes and ro/di water will help as well. My tank is going through the brown algae phase as well. I siphon it off the rocks too.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It is just a normal tthing that happens with a new tank. Just make sure and keep up on your water changes, and try not to feed too much.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I went back and looked at the picture a few times, Some cyno is normal on a new tank,during the cycle, But when looking at the picture you have more then cyno going on. You have a pretty good amount of what looks to me to be hair algae. excess nutrients feeding it.
You need to do water changes often and at that time siphon out what ever you can getout. Take a toothbrush and clean the rocks while doing it, Siphon as cleaning the rock, You may need a another hand. really cut down on the feeding . stay away from frozen foods if you can. You need to get it now before it gets you later down the road. Waters changes right now is you best chance of getting this under control.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
You might also consider checking your phosphates. When they get high, all the bad algaes have a picnic in your tank - - speaking from experience of course!

HHC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts