The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just playing with camera.........here are my caps i just got a purple one yesterday but it is not big enough to be seen in this pic

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Those caps are beautiful and so is your tank! Nice work!:)

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
I love caps! they are my favorite corals. Someday I hope to build a 4' x 4' look-down tank and fill it up with monti-caps and clams. Here's one of mine:

Attachments

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
I lost all three except for a frag of the yellow one last year when my tank overheated and a bad case of RTN swept the tank :-( The frag is growing back but is only 3" round. I now have a chiller so overheating won't be an issue. Bob

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Darn Bob sorry for the loss your tank is great looking:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yeah Bob sorry to hear of the loss of those beautiful corals! I was going to say I will take a frag of that one and that one!:D

·
Registered
822 Posts
Those are some beautiful caps. I have a quick question for you all. How do you usually mount your caps? Do you super glue them directly to the live rock of your reef, or attach them to a smaller piece of rock so that if you need to you can take them out of the tank (say to treat for RTN or something)?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I don't have caps but your second suggestion sounds like the way to go to me!;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yeah, I don't have any yet either, but I'd like to get some. I also thought that attaching them to a smaller rock might be a reasonable thing to do, but looking at some of the pictures above, it looks like some folks might be attaching them directly to their reef structure, or maybe they just encrusted on the reef from a smaller rock. Although I've wondered if you attach them on the side of a smaller rock, what keeps it from tipping over as the coral gets as big as some in the pictures above?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Although I've wondered if you attach them on the side of a smaller rock, what keeps it from tipping over as the coral gets as big as some in the pictures above?
I would put them on the side of flat a piece of rock as I could fine like 2" thick and about 3 or 4" deep and the width of the cap and place it under a big piece of LR and the weight of the LR on the flat piece would secure it in place I would think! That's what I would do!;)

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Thanks guys! Most caps I mount directly to the live rock. I use a small piece of epoxy stick and then the cap encrusts it and grows around it. The exception is if you buy a cone shaped cap. Those can be put into a hole or between rocks. A good example is the green/purple rim in the pic above.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well on my orange cap it was shaped so that i could just put it in a hole and the purple one i also put in a hole.......Andy i got the purple frag from CBA they had a bigger piece that was really pretty but i just got a frag that had broken off........figured it had plenty of time to grow.............lol........and i dont even have a CA reactor.........boyyyyyy can u believe what the growth would be.....

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RWD the next cap im looking for is like your green one..........the last one

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and i would like a red one...............man i think i will just do caps.....lol

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Looking good Maria.

FWIW, I have never mounted my caps. I have put them basically where I have wanted them and they attach by themselves in a matter of days to weeks depending on flow, water quality, etc...Be careful with these, they can get enormous. The original one I had was about 2"x4" and it became the LARGE one Maria has and the two large ones in my tank....that was in about 1 years time....Give them a W I D E birth....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts