Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard of them but ive never seen any..anyone got links or pics ?:read:

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heh yea..lol shoulda figured most would be brown..lol no offense..nice coral,how long you had it ?

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
purple bottle brush ? i think thats what u may have

·
11,345 Posts
Ive got 4 different kinds of purple photosynthetic ones....well, actually 3 now.....one got in a fight with a hammer a couple of weeks ago and of course lost. They all grow fairly quickly without any direct feeding.

That one that Joanne posted is actually a cool deep purple color and a triangular body. Her polyps are browned a touch though....i have the same one with white polyps.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you have the specific names for them ? scientific & common

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha lol

·
11,345 Posts
Actually thats the thing with the photosynthetic gorgs i have noticed. The actual color of the flesh doesnt change with nutrients, but the color of the polyps does. I have had them all shades from dingy brown to bright white and it is always releveant to the nutrients in the water column.

As far as scientific names.......no idea. I have looked and all I seem to find are generic names like purple brush(the one Joanne posted, and the pic I am adding here, and purple whip.

Actually now that i look closer, this one is a little different than the one joanne posted. Although im pretty sure that joannes has that triangular shape as well.

If you can find scientific names besides that i would love to hear them. :)

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
found some, heh ,right in front of me & i didnt even notice all this time

<TABLE width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Purple Tree Gorgonian

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left>(Eunicea sp
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Purple Brush Gorgonian

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left>(Muriceopsis flavida

<TABLE width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Rusty Gorgonian

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left>(Gorgonia sp

<TABLE width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Green Lace Gorgonian

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left>(Pterogorgia citrina<TABLE width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Purple Ribbon Gorgonian

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left>(Gorgonia spp

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
seems the most beautiful ones are the non-photosynthetic ones.

·
11,345 Posts
seems the most beautiful ones are the non-photosynthetic ones.
I totally agree. No contest. But i also have killed every non-photosynthetic one i have ever had. These ones take zero maintenance and do well. For that reason i dont even try the non-photosynthetic ones

It can be done, but ive never went out of my way to do so, so i am better off with the easy photosynthetic ones. :) I like them spread out across the floor of my reef.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how is it possible to keep non-photosynthetic for years ? wouldnt they end up as chili,dendronepthya, sun's, & others ?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
how is it possible to keep non-photosynthetic for years ? wouldnt they end up as chili,dendronepthya, sun's, & others ?
Well now isn't that the 64,000.00 question!
I believe that some things are not meant to be kept in the home aquarium;)

·
11,345 Posts
What do you mean?? You just have to figure out how to keep them fed.

You would know better than I. :) I tend to keep more sps than anything. I know you have put some effort into keeping some of the more difficult softies and lps

1 - 20 of 37 Posts