The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason I need to acclimate my tank to the phosban reactor im getting this week.
maybe run it for just a couple hours and gradually increase the time.
I was told that you have to acclimate.
but why?

·
11,345 Posts
start with 1/4 or less of the recommended dose is how you acclimate. Dont stop running it. You want the media just slightly tumbling in the reactor and again....keep it running. 100 gph is really all it takes...or more importantly than how much....look for softly tumbling media....not boiling

Do a water change when you first hook it up and run 10 gallons through it and out of the system to get any iron dust out. Also disregard the directions that say dont rinse. rinse it first.

·
11,345 Posts
do you think you have high phosphates? do you have algae issues or other issues that make you think you have high phosphates??

ive never heard of those cut your own phosphate pads..but I just googled them and I always find it funny when a company wont say what they are made of. Due to the color I assume they are aluminum based.

Any phosphate removal media is either going to be aluminum(whitish) or Iron(blackish) based. Both are poisons iron clearly the lesser of two evils.

If you must use phosphate removal media, stop using the one you are and go ahead with GFO through a reactor.

I just got a new toy. If you want to mail me some water in a clean glass container I will tell you what your measurable phosphate level really is.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah actually I really dont know.
I was getting concerned because all of my monticaps were turning brownish. My red cap was now orange my green cap is brown and my purple cap was looking more rust color.
So i was using a process of elimination to determine the problem.
I know phosphate absorbers are just bandaides on the real problem. But I have changed my husbandry also. I use to feed strickly frozen food and nori every day (skip one day without feeding a week)Now I have transitioned all my fish to formula one and nori every day 4 times a week. I really watch not to overfeed. This as well as the sponges has made a drastic diference in the coloration of my corals. Once again they are getting (eye popping) My purple monti is back purple. my green one,worst of them all, is slowly getting better.
It may just be fluke
You said that these phosphate sponges can contain aluminum which is toxic.
this may explain my unexplainable fish loss on a fish that was eating like a pig and doing absolutley wonderful. 12 hours after introducing the phosphate sponge it died

I would be interested in checking my water. I have pharmasitical grade sterile plastic test tubes used for cultures. would you prefer glass?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts