The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
19,281 Posts
Dave good to hear from Ya, and glad to hear you're still reefing.

I am soooo behind the 'KISS' movement myself, and as a fellow 'softies' keepers THAT'S what works for me.

Or do I just go back to what's always delivered darned good results..and w fine media bags dropped into the water flow filter socks.
I like this approach.....it worked for your system....something you were comfortable with......and no extra plugs, fittings, or moving parts.

What are your major 'problems or battle' you're now facing?
Hack

·
Administrator
19,281 Posts
SORRY FOR HOW LONG WINDED THIS GOT.

BIG YES to adding a nice size CUC including some algae eating fish like Yellow Tangs, and Lawnmower Blennies, and even a Sea Hare.

BEST ADVICE I ever read, and had stopped me from throwing in the towel at the beginning of my journey.
And the take a way that will forever stick with me is, 'DON'T PANIC', and 'IT'S A WAR YOU CAN WIN'.

My first year, and YES......I was panicked! My 210 gal. full of GHA, getting worse by the second....it seemed.

Stuff I'd yank out EVERY DAY!

That thread of FutureDoc's was the turning point in the hobby for me.......Most 'advice seemed academic, and a little shame on you for getting algae in your tanks' for me. THIS never made me feel like a failure, and that this is normal.....and WE CAN DO THIS!

Now with this frame of mind set in my brain, and following it by manually removing and scrubbing, and not getting frustrated, I also looked into and began my CARBON DOSING REGIME.
("I am notorious for breaking computers, and loosing all my starred threads, and pictures....so I really have to dig for past references....")

I followed it to the 'T', never rushed it, never second guessed it.....followed it EXACTLY. It took time, but before I knew it algae was dieing off, nutrient levels went down, and I was able to control at what level I wanted them to be at. I stayed with this for 7 years.....longer than anyone I could confirm had done.
****A lot of information will tell you HOW TO DO THIS.....but there's NONE out there about 'WHAT DO I DO NOW'. Now that your system is at , and staying happy and running smooth. I just stayed with my 'maintenance dose' that I achieved, and kept rolling along.

In the beginning I did this 'manually' for the first couple years....a syringe, and a shot glass and my trusty bottle of 80 proof Smirnoff's vodka. Then I eventually forced myself into the 21st century, as I am a confirmed dinosaur, and got a dosing pump.....truly out of sight out of mind! (y)

I am the laziest, least intelligent reefer you'll ever meet, and I have been algae free for 7+years. I intentionally keep my system at >than 0, and <than 5ppm NO3......because I've found when keeping it at ZERO there was another can of worms that could be opened.

Since this past January I took down my 210 display tank, and moved into a FRAG operation down in my cellar. My Wife needed some extra room in our home, so the cellar is perfect for me now. THAT'S a whole new ball game.

I have my dosing pump all set up, but haven't had to use it with this new set up.....but if I ever do, I shan't hesitate.
I don't recommend carbon dosing to everyone......most are looking for 'quick fixes'. But those that have been around for the long term and have fought this battle before, I do mention it as a valuable tool.
All the best,
Hack

1 - 2 of 6 Posts