The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'm fairly new and know it's best not to chase numbers but I have one question. My PH normally runs low 7.8-7.9. I have a Milwaukee ph monitor and check the calibration regularly. My alk runs 8.9 -9.4. I tried dosing with kalk. When i do my ph will actually get up to about 8.2 but my alk also goes to like 10.5-11.3. So from your experience which is better the low PH with low alk or the higher PH with the higher alk. I read that the optimum alk is actually in the 8-9 range. My calcium stays above 1300 with little or no dosing and i try to keep my mag at 1300-1400.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
104 Posts
did you say your calcium is in the 1300 range? if that is not a typo that could be part of your issue there. normal calcium values are somewhere in the 400-450 range im pretty sure. at least that's where I keep mine. as for your ph problem. im not sure one way or the other if one is more harmful than the other. but I wouldn't know how to fix it anyway, think ive only tested PH once or twice in any of my tanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank was set up. I bought and moved it a last August. I do a 10 gallon water change (90 gal. tank) every week and vacuum the sand bed every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No algae except some purple. Have sponges growing on the bottom side of the rocks. Have a skimmer rated at 200 gallons. I recently aimed a powerhead towards the top. If I didn't have a big rim arounf the top the water would be splashing out. I can get the alk up by adding a little of the 2 part or the kalk. I just wonder which is worse, the lower ph or the higher alk.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What time of "day" in the tanks light cycle are you testing for pH? Lights on/ off? if lights on how long have they been on ?

Sounds like you bought a running reef tank and moved it and set it up? Did you reuse the sand bed?

You are not going to get in trouble with higher alk as long as it doesnt go much higher than 10 or 11 unless you are running a Ultra Low nutrient System. Which from the sounds of it, i don"t think you are. How are you dosing kalk? Because doing so incorrectly can lead to tank crashes.

Are you new to the hobby?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts