The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Active Anemone
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My corals were looking awesome last week and i tested my levels and my PH was 8.2. only other thing in water that tests found was nitrate-30.

I came home yesterday and i could tell the smell in my house i had some levels that were off.

I started doing tests. nitrite- .50 nitrate- 60-80.

My ph was actually down to 7.7-7.8. does anyone have a good idea on what i can use to boost the PH?

I am not sure what spiked my tank other then my tank being new. (4 months going onto 5 months of having it up and running)

Slowly added fish as my levels hit 0.

· Active Anemone
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ammonia is at .25 or lower. Almost 0.

Maybe some snails? I haven't lost any fish...

I cant seem to find my star fish either so maybe him i will look into that tonight.

· Novel Responder
4,372 Posts
How big is the tank and what is all in it? What are you testing with? How did you cycle the tank?

Agree with Creamhorses, the bigger issue right now is the nitrites/nitrates. Chances are the PH is down due to bacteria respiration. If you correct the other issues, the PH should recover when the rest of the tank stabilizes.

· Active Anemone
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
60 gallon. Probably to many fish 10 fish total. issue is a foxface and blue tang. both babies but will out grow tank. Rest of the fish are small clowns,damsels and gobys.

Testing with API test kit.

Cycled 3 weeks with water/arognite
got to 0.
Added 100 lbs of rock.
got to 0 after 1 month.
add 3 fish.
got to 0.
added 5 fish.
got to 0.
added 2 fish, 1 star, 7 corals.
spiked lvls.
took 1.5 months and got it back to almost everything stable. 30 nitrate was only lvl showing.

Salt- 1.023-24
PH was at 8.2 now 7.6.

Just did a 70% water change couple days ago because they suggested it from my algae boom/nitrate lvls.

Also just added a uv sterlizer last weekend.

· Novel Responder
4,372 Posts
I would say a few things going on...Agree, definitely too much bioload, meaning a lot of bacteria required to keep up. That is a lot of respiration going on, meaning high levels of C02. This is likely why the PH is down...simply can't keep up with the gas exchange required to keep the CO2 concentration low enough to raise the PH.

70% water change at one time is too much. Think of how we acclimate fish...in essence, changing out 70% at one time is like rushing an acclimation process. Dangerous.

We won't mention the potential future issues with aggression (clowns and damesels) and proper tank sizes (foxface and blue tang). You already know about those so no need for the tang police to show up :cop:

Though it is fair to note that they will see each other as competition and aggression will likely follow. Also, they both add a lot of bioload from a waste standpoint, which is helping matters.

· Active Anemone
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I understand jumped the gun on adding to many fish at once. I was suggested to do the water change and regret it. THings seemed way more stable before i did that. I will continue to watch it and do things in small amounts to help.

If any suggestions just let me know.

· Novel Responder
4,372 Posts
oppppss i didnt mean 70% i ment 40% that was a typo i just noticed that after reading ur post again. It was 25 gallons of my 60 gallon tank.
ok...that is still a lot, but more realistic. I'd go with more smaller water changes and try for stability at this point. I hate to say this, but I'd also start looking for a larger tank (180g minimum) or think about exchanging the foxface and tang for store credit. Maybe some good corals instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.