The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried everything to bump my ph at least to 8.0.
unless i use buffer I can't ever seem to reach that mark.

My alk is always stable for the most part cept when i use ph buffer than it skyrockets up to 15. I use B-Ionic 2 part solution. I do frequent 10g. water changes and it raises the ph 1 point like 7.8 but 3 days later it goes back to 7.7 , 7.6. Dont know what to do

The Parameters...

Cal 400ppm
(Alkalinity) - 11dkH
Salt - 1.0255
pH - 7.6 - 7.7
Temperature (Fahrenheit) 78-80

The Fish...
Blue Tang
Angel Fire
Maroone Clown
False Clown
4 Chromies
Golden Midus

The Inverts...
Fire Red Shrimp
4 snails

The Corals...
2 Blue& Red color mushrooms
1 anemones
1 Ducan
Starburst Polyp

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Do you have a powerhead agitating the surface water? Remove the c02 produced in the tank will help raise the pH.

I ran into a similar issue when I placed the glass lids on my tank and killed off a couple of corals trying to mess around with a buffer. After replaced the glass with eggcrate and pointed a powerhead at the surface, my pH went from 7.8 to 8.1-8.2 in about a week.

What type of salt do you use? It could be the cause. Try testing the pH of your SW mix.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
+1 to everything above. In addition, how big is the tank and what are you using for a protein skimmer? Is the tank upstairs or downstairs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 to everything above. In addition, how big is the tank and what are you using for a protein skimmer? Is the tank upstairs or downstairs?
The tank is 45g. I don't have protein skimmer. I was told I don't really need one with a tank that size if I do my frequent wc. However if that helps I don't mind investing in one. whatever it takes. I already invested in a bunch of solutions trying to stabilize my ph. The tank is downstairs and is 1 1/2 year old. I have 2 powerheards aim towards the surface. In addition i have 2 external aquaclear filters 100/70. I also have a glass lid that I place cause my midus try to commit two suicide attempt and somehow survive. However that was when i first introduce the angel to the tank, now they seem to get along just fine.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Yeah, your pH is the result of CO2 build-up in the tank. Removing/changing the glass lid will help. You do not need a skimmer, but skimmers do help with the gas-exchange. Unless you have a sump, I would just keep it skimmerless or add a in-tank skiller such as a Tunze. I am guessing that the very-heavy bioload is also leading to increased bacteria/O2 consumption.

2-part does not really address pH... maybe small kalk dosings with your top-off will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, your pH is the result of CO2 build-up in the tank. Removing/changing the glass lid will help. You do not need a skimmer, but skimmers do help with the gas-exchange. Unless you have a sump, I would just keep it skimmerless or add a in-tank skiller such as a Tunze. I am guessing that the very-heavy bioload is also leading to increased bacteria/O2 consumption.

2-part does not really address pH... maybe small kalk dosings with your top-off will help.
Ok, Im going to go ahead and remove the lid. I dont have a sump, wish I did. Im not exactly sure what a skiller/tunze is. Can u point me to one that I can buy? Also I bought the other day a $12 airpod pump and left it doing bubbles to the surface overnight , but the ph went down even further from 7.6 to 7.5. Not sure if it was coincidence to something else or it was that.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
airstones don't do much in salt water, they are more of a fresh water thing. I am with Futuredoc. A few things going on here:
1. Protein skimmers pull outside air in order to make bubbles for skimmer, so can help get O2 into the tank. You don't really need one, but you have a lot of bioload for that size tank, so it could help. Tunze is a brand of protein skimmer, which I happen to fully endorse.
2. Being downstairs doesn't help. CO2 is heavier than O2, so the air itself has a higher concentration of CO2 than being upstairs. My PH went from 8.2 to 7.8 when I moved it downstairs... :mad:
3. Bioload...you have a lot of fish for a 46g tank and many of them are active fish. they tend to consume O2 faster than some other fish. At night, any algae reverses its processes and takes O2 out of the water rather than creating it. This further lowers the O2 level and therefore, the PH level.
4. Concern on the tank as a whole...check out the link on Sudden Death Syndrome. You are currently in 2 of the three main danger zones: smaller tank with high bioload. Thankfully, yours is a bit more established than most tanks that crash so that is good news. These crashes tend to be related to low O2 levels which occur most often at night when O2 is being taken up by algae, which is more prevalent in newer tanks.
5. Lids are inhibiting air flow. I removed my lids and canopies to help. Thankfully, nobody has jumped.
6. Powerheads pointed at the surface have to be breaking the surface/agitating the surface to have any real effect.

Last note I'll say politely before someone says it unpolitely. Blue Tang is really not a fish you should have in that tank, as the tank is too small. If it is small now, you may be ok, but as it grows, especially with the angel and maroon clowns, you will begin to see aggression issues and stress issues, which you really don't want to have to deal with.

For now, getting the canopy off, making sure the surface is being agitated and getting a protein skimmer should all help. Chances are you won't get it more than 7.8-7.9 though, and that is just because it is downstairs. Not sure where you are, but if you can keep a window open, that will really help. Near Chicago, that isn't an option anymore....We had frost this morning....yuck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks richkor

I agree I shouldn't have a tang in there. I was a rookie when I bought it and wasn't told otherwise from the same place i bought the tank. Its one of my fav fishes so it was one of the first i bought. She's been there since the beginning. I dont want to get rid of her :(. Im hatting myself for it. However im planning to expand my tank to a 110 in the near future when i move, but that's in about 6 months. I wanted to at least alleviate the problem for now as much as i can. I only have 1 floor house, so I can't elevate the thing :( Im going to buy a protein today for sure and see if that helps a bit. If I can at least maintain it 7.8-7.9 for now I be happy without having to use buffers everytime which is messing up my corals big time. By the way im in Florida, so I have to keep my windows close for the ac .

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Dont buy a skimmer as a reactionary process. Plan it out and do some research about what skimmers do and which tend to be better (it is easier to buy the wrong skimmer than one might think). Read up on my skimmer thread ;) and check out the Sudden Mass Death thread.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
how deep is your sand bed?

what is the pH right before lights on in the morning and right before lights off in the evening?

my guess is that your bacteria bioload is really pumping out the CO2 causing a low pH. i am not sure venting and surface agitation is going to get it. how much flow do you have low down in the system? near the sand bed.

G~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how deep is your sand bed?

what is the pH right before lights on in the morning and right before lights off in the evening?

my guess is that your bacteria bioload is really pumping out the CO2 causing a low pH. i am not sure venting and surface agitation is going to get it. how much flow do you have low down in the system? near the sand bed.

G~
in the morning: 7.6 , daytime: 7.7 sometimes 7.8. I'm not sure how much flow i have down there. How would I know that? The tank is about 23" in height so is a pretty tall tank and 36" wide. Im not sure how can i get flow down there. Putting a powerhead down there? Not sure if it will fit with the rocks around.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Tunze is a good skimmer. I love mine. Thanks Futuredoc :) As for flow, a power head can definitely help with flow at the bottom of the tank. You may have to play with the positioning a little so it doesn't blow sand everywhere, but if you look at most larger tanks, they will have powerheads to keep water moving around the bottom and from bottom to top, as most returns push water from top to bottom or across the top. You need flow everywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys for all your replies. After your suggestions I added alot more flow to the tank now. It's not pretty but for now it will have to do until I move onto my new 110g at the other house. The issue was definitely a lack of oxygen. I added an air pump, plus 2 powerheads at the bottom. One on each side of the tank and I bought a skimmer 4 days ago and of course 10% water changes every week. My ph now is at least reading 7.9-8.1. KH 11 and Cal 440 an improvement from the previouse 7.6. My magnesium was also low. Around 800-1000! I test it with the Red Sea kit. So now I'm dosing some Kent supplement to increase that as well. Seems like my parameters where all out of wack with pouring PH buffer every week. However, now I have to jump into another board regarding my blue tang as its developing some kind of weird skin disorder (not Ick). I hope it wasn't the cause of low PH. Thank you all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts